Alexa D’Archeangelo as Madame de Rosemonde

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

UVic has an impressive theatre program that attracts theatre enthusiasts from across Canada. We caught up with 5th year theatre student Alexa D’Archeangelo who is currently performing as Madame de Rosemonde in the MainStage production of Les Liaisons Dangereuses.

Name: Alexa D’Archangelo

Major: Theatre

Year: 5th

What sparked your interest in theatre and performing arts?

I can’t think of a specific moment – I’ve loved performing since as long as I can remember. My mom used to have to pull me off of stages when I was little, and I did dance, community theatre and music all through school. It’s always been a part of my life.

Who would you say is the biggest influence on your theatre career? Is there someone who inspires you to push yourself, or someone who you aspire to be like?

My parents. They’re my biggest supporters and my biggest inspiration. They push me to be my best every day and I’m so grateful for them.

Of all the musicals and plays, what are your top three shows?

This is a hard one, but I think I can narrow it down:

1. Hamilton

2. Les Miserables

3. The Book of Mormon

What made you decide to apply to the Uvic theatre program as opposed to another university?

Its reputation. UVic theatre is such a well-rounded program; you’re trained a little bit in every aspect of theatre, so you have experience for anything and everything when you go out into the real world.

What has been your most memorable experience in the theatre program?

Getting cast in my first MainStage production. It was such a wake up call as to what professional theatre is like – I’d only ever had experience in high school theatre before that.

What has been the most challenging part of the theatre program? (Either as a whole or a particular part you had to play.)

Writing and performing my own work. That’s a big part of the acting specialization. And it’s so difficult to present something that’s so close to your heart and to be open to critique, but it’s the most rewarding feeling.

You’re acting in the play Les Liaisons Dangereuses, which is playing at the Phoenix Theatre right now. Tell us what the play is about.

It’s about love, revenge, using sex as a weapon, and manipulating others for sport, as well as the consequences [of] all of those things.

What is your character’s name and what is her role in the play?

Madame de Rosemonde. She’s the matriarch character, and the knower of things. She’s a seed of wisdom in a world driven by emotions.

What do you like most about your character?

She’s patient and she’s kind, and she doesn’t see things in only black and white – she’s very open minded. She’s also pretty tough and knows when to take a stand and when to hold back, which I find extremely admirable.

For you, what do you find to be the most satisfying part when putting on a production?

Opening night, definitely. The week before is insane and stressful, and you feel like you’re never going to get anything done in time, and then opening comes and it’s like “oh, we actually have something here” and all the stress melts away and it feels so incredible.

What is your dream role?

I would love to play Angelica Schuyler in Hamilton. Actually anybody in Hamilton, honestly.

You can see Alexa and her castmates perform in Les Liasions Dangereuses, playing at the Pheonix Theatre from now until November 26th. For more information on tickets and show times visit the website here.

Kate is a linguistics major at the University of Victoria. Although she is only 22 years old, Kate is truly a granny at heart. She could not imagine a world in which sweaters, dogs, coffee, and brunch did not exist. In her spare time Kate likes to create inspirational quotes to live by. Her quote of the moment is "Life is a party and I have the streamers!"
Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison