9 Stages of Finding Out That Your Friend is Pregnant

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

In college, there’s a point when “pregnancy scares” aren’t even scares anymore. You and your friends have peed on enough sticks to realize that periods can be late for many different reasons and that it probably isn’t morning sickness, you’re just hungover. Eventually, the potential for pregnancy doesn’t even phase you. That’s why I was not at all prepared when my best friend texted me a picture of a sonogram. For the first time in my life, it wasn’t just a scare, it was actually happening, and it sent me on one heck of an emotional rollercoaster. Here are the nine emotional stages I experienced:

1. Disbelief

Hahahaha! She’s joking… right?

2. Denial

Wait. No. Really? That is so weird to think about! I can’t.

3. Realization

It all makes sense now! I KNEW she was just pretending to be drunk at that New Years party.

4. Sadness

Aw, we can’t drink together anymore!

5. Recovery

I guess there is more to life than drinking. We all have to start being responsible eventually, right?

6. Crisis

Wait, should I be having babies too?! She’s bringing a human being into this world, what am I doing with my life?

7. Recovery

It’s fine, I still have time. Plus, nine months without vodka sounds awful.

8. Acceptance

Okay, if the kid is half as cool as my friend, then it can’t be that bad. And I guess being the cool aunt will be pretty fun.

9. Excitement

OMG my amazing friend is going to have a beautiful baby and be the best mom ever!

It definitely wasn’t easy to get used to the fact that we were going to have to grow up and that our friendship was going to change, but now I cannot wait for the new experiences to come!

Sources: 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9

This article was compiled by the Her Campus at UVic team or published anonymously by one of our writers or a UVic student. If you'd like to submit an article you can contact us at u-vic@hercampus.com.
Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison