9 Christmas Songs That Absolutely Slap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Every Christmas, the radios start playing classic holiday songs, like Mariah Carey’s “All I Want For Christmas Is You.” Every year, though, musicians release new renditions of songs and even sometimes put together entire albums of new Christmas music.

Despite all the options, new and old, what songs are the absolute best? What Christmas songs absolutely slap? Well folks, I’m here to share with you some Christmas bops.

“Like It’s Christmas” by The Jonas Brothers

Like It’s Christmas” is the Jonas Brothers’ Christmas single and maybe one of my favourite Jonas Brothers songs ever. It opens slowly with a simple scene of snow upon the ground and love in the air before going on to be an upbeat song about that special someone who makes the mundane feel magical. It makes me think of all the people I love who make every day a gift, even when it’s not December 25. And, bonus points to the Jonas Brothers, this song is wonderful to dance to.

“Christmas Tree Farm” by Taylor Swift

This song encompasses essentially everything that I love about Christmas. It’s a song filled with bells jingling merrily in the background and soft lyrics about love and happiness and a snow-covered world. The bridge is what initially captured my heart, as Taylor sings, “And when I’m feelin’ alone / You remind me of home… And when the world isn’t fair / I’ll pretend that we’re there.” It’s about Christmas and all the joy and love this season can offer, despite whatever hardships may come. It’s an absolute bop that I will definitely be singing for all of December.

“Make It To Christmas” by Alessia Cara

Alessia Cara’s “Make It To Christmas” is very different from the first two songs on this list. Rather than an upbeat melody featuring sleigh bells and lyrics about love, Cara’s Christmas single focuses on a relationship that’s falling apart. Despite the fact that the verses make my heart ache, the chorus sounds almost cheerful as she begs her lover to stay with her and to make it to Christmas with her. It’s the kind of song that makes me hurt, just a little bit, and I adore it.

“Seasons of Love” by Idina Menzel

While this isn’t quite a Christmas song, having made its debut in the musical Rent, it’s something entirely new and delightful as Idina sings it in her newest Christmas album, Christmas: A Season of Love. It feels warm, bright and delightful: a song that you would want to sing with all your friends around a Christmas tree. This is a perfect song for the season and, more specifically, Christmas-themed karaoke.

“Carol of the Bells”  by Candice Boyd

What list of Christmas songs would be complete without a rendition of “Carol of the Bells?” It might be my favourite classic Christmas song ever, and Candice Boyd’s take on the song does not disappoint. The song is almost entirely a cappella with the exception of a simple beat supporting Candice’s standout vocals as she sings the lyrics to this haunting Christmas song. It’s elegant, it’s beautiful and it’s a song you have to add to your Christmas playlist.

“Last Christmas” by Wham!

What really makes this song is that it’s by Wham!,  setting it apart from all the other renditions of “Last Christmas.”

“Wonderful Christmastime” by Paul McCartney

Nothing quite encompasses the Christmas spirit like this peppy, joyous Christmas tune by the former Beatle. It’s happy, it’s upbeat and it has jingle bells! All necessary ingredients for the perfect Christmas song. And it is so easy to get this song to get stuck in your head.

“Carol of the Bells” by Lindsey Sterling

Is this a second “Carol of the Bells” on this list? Yes. Is it instrumental? Yes. Does it slap? Without question. I can’t help imagining myself in a snowy, fantasy world whenever I hear this violin rendition of “Carol of the Bells.” It’s beautiful and haunting at the same time.

“You and I at Christmas Time” by The Bird and the Bee

This song is a bit different. While it’s not immediately an absolute bop, it is easy to listen to. It’s a soft, gentle Christmas song about putting up lights and loving you, and I am living for it. It has beachier vibes than most of the songs on the list, so if you absolutely require jingle bells, beware!

Of course, while everyone should go out and listen to all of these songs immediately, we all know that no Christmas song on this list holds a candle to the utter masterpiece that is Michael Bublé’s album, Christmas. They certainly come close though! Happy listening!

Ria Boldt

U Vic '20

Ria is a slightly confused fourth year at the University of Victoria, with a major in tea drinking and a minor in freelance superhero-ing. When not busy she can usually be found reading, eating, or re-watching all of the Star Wars movies.
Emma is a second-year graduate student at the University of Victoria. She's a pop-culture-obsessed filmmaker and aspiring video game designer. When she isn't writing for Her Campus or burning her eyes from staring at a screenplay that just isn't working, she's probably at home playing video games, watching movies (it's technically homework, she's studying them) or mindlessly scrolling through her TikTok feed.