9 Anti-Valentine’s Day Recommendations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Single and not so in the mood for love? Head over heels but opposed to consumerist holidays? Need something to do on February 14th that isn’t Valentine’s Day themed, some recommendations that are unromantic and unsexy? However you want to spend February 14th, there’s something on this list for you. 

Any classic 80s dad rock.

Sure, a lot of 80s rock references romance and sex, but it’s also a LOT of fun. Put on your favourite playlist (or just pick one with all the hits) and rock on, baby!

Recommended when… you’re feeling low and lonely.

Pom Poko (1994).

Who needs romance when you have a movie about environmentalism and raccoon dogs with very prominent… raccoon pouches, as the English dub says. 

Recommended when… you need a bit of weird.

Paddington (2014) + Paddington 2 (2017).

Cinematic masterpieces about family and kindness and the importance of a marmalade sandwich. 

Recommended when… you’re missing your loved ones.

Pure Heroine – Lorde.

Screw love, let’s reminisce about being teenagers for a while and romanticize the hell out of youth. 

Recommended when… you want to stare at the ceiling and sink into some music.

Untitled Goose Game.

Be the horrible goose you want to see in the world with this indie game that captured the hearts of gamers everywhere when it was released in 2019. 

Recommended when… you need to let the chaos loose.

The Emperor’s New Groove (2000).

I don’t even think I need to convince you. You want to watch this movie. I know you do. 

Recommended when… you’re craving some light-hearted nostalgia.

Less by Andrew Sean Greer.

This Pulitzer-Prize winner will sweep you away on an emotional and hilarious adventure. 

Recommended when… you need to get away.

Six by Lucy Moss and Toby Marlow.

This short musical gives you the slightly fictionalized tale of the lives and deaths of King Henry VIII’s wives… in the pop musical style of a girl group. 

Recommended when.. you want to have a dance party.

Letterkenny.

An underrated Canadian gem set in rural Ontario, this show centers on the community Letterkenny and the problems faced by its residents. Wildly relatable to anyone who’s lived in a small Canadian town, and baffling to everyone else, this is one of the few sitcoms that don’t make romance their main plot. 

Recommended when… you’re feeling goofy.

And those are our anti-Valentine’s Day Recommendations. How will you be spending February 14th?

Emma is a second-year graduate student at the University of Victoria. She's a pop-culture-obsessed filmmaker and aspiring video game designer. When she isn't writing for Her Campus or burning her eyes from staring at a screenplay that just isn't working, she's probably at home playing video games, watching movies (it's technically homework, she's studying them) or mindlessly scrolling through her TikTok feed.