8 Moments from Queer Eye That Will Make You Say “Yass Henny”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

If you’re looking for a feel-good show that will make you laugh and cry in every episode, I would highly recommend Netflix’s Queer Eye. A reboot of Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, which aired on Bravo from 2003 to 2006, the show centres on the “Fab Five,” a group of five gay men who give makeovers to other (mostly straight) men. The Fab Five consists of Antoni, wine and food expert; Jonathan, grooming expert; Bobby, design expert; Tan, fashion expert; and Karamo, culture expert.

What separates Queer Eye from other improvement shows is the focus on helping each “hero”—the name for the person being made over—feel more confident in their own skin. They spend as much time working on the hero’s emotional wellbeing as they do giving them a new look. In the end, this makes the show one of the most empowering and positive on television. Honestly, the only problem I found with it (when I binge-watched it over one weekend when I should have been studying) was that it was only eight episodes! So, in preparation for season two, which has been announced for later in 2018, here are some of the top moments from Queer Eye!

1. When Tom went from saying “You can’t fix ugly” to asking his ex-wife on a dinner date

When we first met Tom in the first episode, he spent all of his time with the ROMEO (Retired Old Men Eating Out) society and drinking “redneck margaritas” in his ancient armchair. He said multiple times that he believed they “can’t fix ugly,” something the gang refuted. By the end of the episode, they had restored Tom’s self-confidence to the point that he felt he could reunite with his ex-wife and the love of his life, Abby! Things got even better after the show had ended, as he announced via Twitter that he and Abby were engaged. That’s definitely a wedding I want to see the Fab Five plan!

2. When AJ came out to his stepmother and introduced her to his boyfriend

This was probably one of the most emotional episodes of the season. In episode four, we were introduced to AJ, the first gay hero on the show. He confessed that one of his biggest regrets was not coming out to his dad when he was still alive, and wished to come out to his stepmother at the end of the week. It opened the door for a lot of powerful and inspiring moments, as the Fab Five discussed what it took for them to come out, and what they overcame in order to be themselves. Although AJ initially described his style as being quite conservative, as he became more comfortable, he revealed he was afraid to dress how he wanted in case people judged him for seeming gay. The fashion expert, Tan, encouraged him to dress how he wanted, saying, “I’m hoping you’ll spend time with us and get used to the fact that you being your true self isn’t going to offend anybody. It’s very unlikely that people are going to cause an issue just because you are being yourself. And if they are concerned, that’s on them. You’re happy.” Definitely a message that everyone needs to hear!

3. When Cory and Karamo had a conversation about police violence

When the Fab Five are driving to the house of Cory, the hero of episode three, they are pulled over while Karamo, the one black member of the gang, is driving. Karamo and the rest of the group are very clearly nervous, especially when the police officer asked him to step out of the car. Luckily, it was soon revealed that the person that had pulled them over was Henry, Cory’s nominator. Although this scene was important in opening eyes to the fear that black and Muslim people can experience in situations like this, the more touching moment came later, when Karamo and Cory were driving together. Cory is also a police officer, and Karamo discussed the tension surrounding police officers and people of colour, explaining to him how scared he felt when he had been pulled over. It was a very moving conversation where they acknowledged the viewpoints of both sides, and agreed that it was important to think of each other as people first. It was, of course, a very emotional conversation, and it was significant that Queer Eye did not shy away from it.

4. When Bobby and Bobby had a conversation about religion

Bobby, the hero of episode five, was a devout Christian and hardworking father of six. In a tear jerking conversation while planting a garden, Bobby the designer asked him how being religious affected his view of homosexuality. Bobby the designer revealed his experiences growing up gay in a very Christian household, when he would come home and pray to God to not make him gay, because all he ever heard was negative things about those people. It was extremely touching, especially when he spoke about how he learned to reject what he had been taught in order to be himself. Bobby the hero was very welcoming to the Fab Five, and at the end of the episode, he shared the message that although gay people might not always be accepted within the Christian religion, they were always welcome and loved in his home.

5. When Bobby transformed Remy’s grandmother’s home

Let’s be honest: all of Bobby’s transformations are absolutely incredible. For some reason, the design expert usually gets less screen time than the other members of the Fab Five, yet seems to do way more work? He manages to redo entire houses in under a week, with none of the usual drama you see on shows on HGTV. One of his most impressive moments was definitely in episode six, when he renovated Remy’s home. This house belonged to his grandmother, and hadn’t been updated since the 1970s. The best part of this design was that he managed to keep a lot of the furniture and elements Remy’s grandmother loved, while also incorporating Remy’s own personal style. It meant that Remy could still feel the connection to his grandmother, but also that he could be comfortable there and bring home women without a disclaimer.

6. When Joe worked up the courage to ask Chloe out on a date

This moment had me legitimately SHOOK. Joe from episode seven was an adorable comedian, who was struggling and living at his parents’ house. He had recently lost over 100 pounds due to diet and exercise, and it seemed like he was a little unsure of how people would take him now that he looked so different. Even though he shone onstage doing stand-up, he wasn’t very confident anywhere else. The Fab Five worked on his confidence and, by the end of the episode, he asked his friend out on a date and kissed her! This definitely came out of nowhere, and I’m not even sure what I loved more—the moment, or their reactions to it.

7. When Jonathon took Neal from “Bigfoot” to “Big-Look”

I love all the members of the Fab Five, but I think I speak for most when I admit that Jonathan’s transformations are usually the most exciting. Some people might think he’s a little “too much,” but to them I say we should all try and be a little more. Neal’s transformation in episode two was probably the most dramatic of the entire season. When we met him, he had a huge, thick beard and very long hair that he was hiding behind. Once he cut it off, however, he was able to let his true personality shine through! I definitely cried when he hugged Jonathan after, even though he had previously been so nervous and resistant to touch.

8. The last episode. Like, all of it

As someone who’s interested in men, I was definitely pretty excited when episode eight took us to a fire station full of good looking firefighters. But the most amazing part of this episode was how they broke down the barriers of traditional ideas surrounding masculinity, and showcased the connection between the Fab Five and the other men. Whether it was through dance lessons, wet T-shirt contests, or makeovers, they were really able to connect, despite their different personalities. Also, the selflessness of this episode’s hero, Jeremy, was truly incredible. He became a firefighter at the age of nineteen in order to protect people and save lives, adopted five kids who are all biological siblings, and got the Fab Five to redo the fire station, rather than his house. He wanted a makeover to look good for a fundraiser to raise money so he could train other firefighters in places where they can’t afford good training. Not only was he incredibly selfless, but he was also super humble the entire episode, and just talked about how much he loved and supported people. This was definitely one of the most feel-good episodes of the season.

Whether these moments made me laugh, cry, or yell “Can you believe it?” at my laptop, they were some of my favourites from the show. I hope they inspire you to watch it if you haven’t, and if you have, let me know if you agree! If anyone needs me, they can find me binge-watching this show “just one more time.”

Source: 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9

Chantelle is a third year History major at the University of Victoria. She loves bad puns, good books, and the colour pink. In her spare time you can find her binge watching Grey's Anatomy, singing and dancing to Disney songs, spending too much money at Sephora, and baking (and eating) dessert. Her favourite book is Stephanie Perkins' 'Anna and the French Kiss', and her body is 50-75% chai tea latte.
Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison