7 Ways to Keep your New Year’s Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Happy 2016! Hopefully everyone had a safe and exciting holiday. But if you’re anything like us, you might have fallen a bit behind last years’ resolutions by the end of December. With school ending and your schedule getting all mixed up in the last month (not to mention holiday treats!), we can’t blame you. But there’s nothing like a new year to inspire you to make the changes you’ve been wanting to make. And no matter what your resolution is, it can be incredibly hard to keep on track. Here’s a list of seven things to make it a little easier! 

1. Set a specific goal.

It’s easy to just spit out any general goal when your parents ask you what your resolution is on New Year’s day. You might find yourself saying something like, “I want to get fit,” or “I want to work harder in school.” But resolutions like this can be so broad that they’re mostly impossible to truly realize. There’s no way to measure if you’re really working harder, and because it’s not something you can specifically achieve, you won’t know when to reward yourself.  Instead, really assess what you want to be able to do, and have a single specific goal to work towards. If you’re resolution is to get fit, try making it being able to run 5km without walking, or being able to do a pull up. If your resolution is to work harder in school, try making it to write all your notes onto cue cards right after class. If you’re resolution is to eat healthier, aim to make three healthy meals a week.

2. Make it realistic.

The harder your resolution is to reach, the more daunting it’s going to seem. If it seems impossible, you might not even try. And even if you do, after a few months when you’re not anywhere near your impossible goal, you may start to feel disheartened. An easy way to avoid this is to make sure your goal is something you can actually see yourself achieving. Think of how much faster you run once you can see the finish line. Even if it seems too small of a goal, it’s easy to make a new one once you reach your first, so don’t be afraid to play it safe. Don’t try and lose 20 pounds if you’ve never even tried to lose two. If you want to start reading more, don’t go from zero books a year to 100. Start small and work your way up, instead of immediately making it out of your reach.

3. Make it a monthly resolution.

A year is a long time, and it’s easy to forget about any resolutions you made until the next New Year’s when people ask you if you kept yours. If a year seems too long for you, try making a new resolution every month. They can add onto each other, and continue getting bigger and bigger until they reach a yearly goal, or you can pursue a completely different aspect of your life every month. If you want to start saving your money, you could try saving $50 in January, then $150 in February, then $300 in March, and continue working up. Or you could try saving money in January, then keeping your room clean in February. If you decide to make a new one every month, make sure to keep it small and achievable so that you’ll be able to turn it into a habit. This way you’ll have made some tangible improvements by the end of the year.

4. Get inspired.

Nothing ruins a resolution more than making it half heartedly in the first place. If you’re truly passionate about your goal, work for it! Do whatever you can to keep yourself inspired and motivated. Try making a dream board, or keeping photos that inspire you around your room or as your phone background. Put whatever you own that helps you towards your goal in plain sight, like your running shoes by the door, your book next to your bed, or your piggy bank on your vanity (depending on what your resolution is!). Make a schedule and write it onto a calendar that is easy to see and read, and set reminders in your phone whenever you should be doing something on your schedule.

5. Find a friend.

One of the easiest and cheapest ways to keep yourself motivated is to make your resolution with a friend. This way you’ll be held accountable, and will feel more obligated to work towards your goal when what you do affects them as well. Whatever your resolution is, either work towards it together or save time to tell each other about your progress. Share workouts, recipes, books, or tips. Hold each other accountable, and don’t be afraid to really push each other!

6. Reward yourself.

The best part of a resolution- the rewards! It doesn’t have to be huge. Once you reach your goal, or a milestone of your goal, buy yourself a new pair of yoga pants, or a book. Rewarding yourself doesn’t mean you have to completely fall off the band wagon. If you’re goal has something to do with fitness, your reward could be to do a fun hike instead of going to the gym. If you wanted to call your parents more, take them out to a movie the next time you see them. But your reward doesn’t have to have anything to do with your resolution. You could be trying to eat healthier, but your reward could be a trip to the museum. It won’t ruin your streak, but you will have fun, and it can motivate you to work towards your next goal!

7. Don’t worry!

If your resolution is causing you a lot of stress, make it easier- or drop it all together. Resolutions are supposed to help you improve and make you happier, and if they’re not doing that than it’s not worth doing. Don’t put too much pressure on yourself to make something work if it’s not going to. If you have one bad day but want to keep going, don’t give up. It’s easy to fail once and just stop altogether, but messing up is a very normal part of the process. Don’t forget to start working again, even if you’ve taken months off.

Hopefully these tips will inspire you to keep with your resolution, and help you finish 2016 feeling accomplished and happy!

Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison
Femi Tunde-Oladepo is in her final year at the University of Victoria where she is studying at the Peter B. Gustavson School of Business. After her undergrad, Femi hopes to read law and master French, Spanish and Italian. She is an active volunteer in her community and enjoys working with the Rotaract Club on campus. Having filled numerous notebooks as a child, Femi adores writing — especially short stories. She likes to dance (spontaneously), listen to all genres of music, laugh loudly and be the sassiest person in a room. In her spare time, Femi likes to window shop online, go for runs and reorganize spaces. One day, Femi hopes to perfect the art of soft pretzels. Follow her on Instagram @femzieb to see her attempts at being artsy and pensive.