This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

After watching the new horror film Us, written and directed by Jordan Peele, I had a lot of questions. Us is a very different film than Get Out. Us forces viewers to constantly question what they are watching. I spent the entire film attempting to piece together clues and understand what they mean. Peele’s film invites discussion and speculation about its many motifs, twists, and characters.

And while I could talk about what I think the film is trying to say, there are already many articles, such as The New Yorker and Gamespot, which serve that purpose. Instead, I’ve created a list of hints about the movie. For those who have already seen the film, they’ll know what I’m referring to, and to those who haven’t, I hope you’ll want to go see the film.

what I’m referring to, and to those who haven’t, I hope you’ll want to go see the film.

1. Rabbits

2. Hands Across America

3. The Single Escalator

4. Owl in the Woods

5. “I Got 5 on It” by Luniz

6. Ballet Dancing

7. “The Itsy Bitsy Spider”

What could all these things possibly mean? When you watch the film, keep an eye out for these clues and see what you come up with.

Sources: 1/2/3/4/5/6/7

Leah Smith

U Vic '20

Coming from Edmonton, AB, Leah is a writing student in the Fine Arts Department at the University of Victoria. She enjoys all things story related including but not limited to TV, movies, and books. She is a die-hard fan of Peaky Blinders, Mr. Robot, and Jane the Virgin. She loves desserts and when she has time enjoys baking and hanging out with her family and friends. She is easy-going and with an avid love for music and hopes to be a screenwriter.
Jess is from Calgary, Alberta, but studies English literature and business at UVic. After her degree, she hopes to pursue a career in the Entertainment Industry. Some of her favourite things are Wes Anderson films, cute coffee mugs and costume parties. When she's not studying or writing for HC, she is usually watching movies, playing soccer or exploring Victoria!