This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

It’s the time of year when it’s finally acceptable to blast Mariah Carey and Michael Bublé from your car and to make endless trips to Mayfair to pick up gifts for your friends, family and loved ones. And if you have a significant other in your life, it can be one of the best times of the year to go on dates. Are you looking for some cool places in Victoria to take your boyfriend or girlfriend? Here are some of the highlights:

1. Aura Gingerbread Tea at the Aura Restaurant, Inn at Laurel Point

(November 19 -January 2 at 11 AM-5PM) and

Canada’s National Gingerbread Showcase (November 19-January 2 at 9 AM-9 PM)

Maybe you’re a gingerbread house fanatic or maybe you like to binge watch Giant Gingerbread on the food network. Either way, this is great place to check out this holiday season. There will be gingerbread desserts made by the Aura pastry team, and hot holiday drinks like hot chocolate and coffee will be provided for the Gingerbread Tea. With every purchase, one dollar will be donated to the Habitat for Humanity Victoria. Also, while at Laurel Point you can see the massive display of the creative takes on making a gingerbread house through Canada’s National Gingerbread Showcase. Decorated and created by amateur and professional chefs, this annual display is a must see.

NOTE: The Gingerbread Tea is not available on Sundays, Christmas Day, or January 1st.

2. Ferris Wheel in Centennial Square

(November 26-December 23; Fridays 4-9 PM, Saturdays 12-9 PM, Sundays 12-5 PM)

Take your S.O. to the Ferris wheel this Christmastime and overlook Downtown Victoria from a 20-meter viewpoint! With food vendors and various street performers around, the atmosphere here is captivating. It costs $3 for a ride or 2/$5.

3. Christmas Hike

Do you love the outdoors and want to take advantage of the mild West Coast weather? Do you love Christmas and want to find an inexpensive way of celebrating together? Take a hike up Mount Doug and bring some hot drinks during the holidays. Whether it is a day or a night hike, the beautiful Victoria skyline is sure to be a highlight of your holiday season.

4. The Magic of Christmas Season at the Butchart Gardens

(December 1-January 6)

The world renown Butchart Gardens is a gem in Victoria and especially this is true at Christmas. With fully decorated gardens adorned with lights, the Twelve Days of Christmas display and Christmas wreaths, the gardens are an almost magical sight to see. Listen to carolers, ride the carousel, go ice skating, or have a festive meal at The Dining Room or The Blue Poppy- the possibilities are endless.

5. Festival of Trees at The Bay Centre and The Fairmont Empress

(November 17th – January 3rd)

Take your S.O. to look at the 25th Annual Festival of Trees in support of the BC Children’s Hospital Foundation. The variety of beautifully decorated trees is an iconic aspect of Victoria’s Christmas traditions.

6. Take a Walking Tour

During the holiday season, Downtown Victoria offers a range of walking tours, and what better way to see our decorated city than by wandering its cobblestone streets? Three fun types include:

Ghosts of Christmas Past Walking Tours- December 2-4, 9-11, 16-18, 23-24, 26-31 and January 1 at 7:30 PM (meet by Visitor Information Centre; costs $15)

Chinatown Walking Tours- December 3, 10, 17, 24, 31 at 10:30 AM (meet outside Starbucks Coffee at the corner of Fisgard & Government St.; costs $15)

Christmas in Old Victoria Walking Tours- December 3, 10, 17, 24, 31 at 2 PM and December 4, 11, 18 at 10:30 AM (meet outside 26 Bastion Square; costs $15)

7. Browse Downtown Victoria’s Shops

Are you struggling to figure out what to get everyone on your Christmas shopping list? Take your boyfriend or girlfriend downtown and wander through the decorated shops at night. Maybe stop at Starbucks or Murchie’s and get a coffee to warm up, and then browse the Bay Centre and take a picture under the Giant Christmas Wreath with the #BayCentreKiss for the #WinYourWayHome contest. You can make wandering and window-shopping an adventure.

Sources 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8

Megan Thompson is a third year student at University of Victoria who is completing a degree in Hispanic Studies. She is currently the Outreach Director for her chapter, and after she graduates from UVic she intends to pursue a law degree at either UBC or UVic. 
Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison