This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Vampires are creatures that have pervaded the human imagination for years. Since the first copy of Bram Stoker’s Dracula was sold, and in mythology and folklore for centuries prior. We are captivated by these creatures of darkness, these soulless immortals that survive on human blood. There are innumerable pieces of media about vampires. Not sure which vampire movies are worth watching? The very best, that cannot be ignored? 

This non-exhaustive list of some vampire movies will steer you in the right direction for your next movie night.

What We Do In The Shadows

A documentary-style movie about immortals living in a shared flat in New Zealand. This movie is a mix of horror and pure, hilarious comedy. It takes vampires, beings that are so often steeped in shadows and gothic tales and romanticism, and makes them incredibly mundane. They may be able to fly and hypnotize people, they may be immortal, but they still often strike out with love — and they still have to wash their own dishes. The kind of movie you want to watch when you want something fun, that still has a bit of the darkness that often pervades the vampire genre. And, if you find yourself loving this movie, you can also find a spinoff TV series of the same name.

The Twilight Saga

While I haven’t seen every Twilight movie yet (I’m still working on it) I can already guarantee that every single movie is a masterpiece. I’ve seen the first movie, and I’ve just started New Moon, and I can already say that these movies are without question the best vampire movies in cinematic history. The glittering skin, the nauseating way the camera moves, the unnecessary face close-ups, moody lines of dialogue… Honestly what more could anyone want?

Hotel Transylvania

If you’re looking for something sweet, fun and lighthearted, look no further than the Sony animated movie Hotel Transylvania. While I can’t vouch for the sequels, the first movie in this series is a lot of fun and a joy to watch. Unlike other movies on this list, this movie is the exact opposite of moody. It’s cute, it’s hilarious, and it pokes fun at other movies in the genre. While it’s classed as a kids movie, I see nothing wrong with watching it with your friends when you want some lighter fare.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

No, not the television series. This 1992 movie is the series’ predecessor. It was also written by Joss Whedon, meaning you can expect the same humour and action-based storylines the television series is imbued with. This movie leans towards the comedic side more than the show, so it’s a lot of fun and perfect for movie nights that you want to be a little scary, but not too much.

Bram Stoker’s Dracula

The original 1992 movie that truly sent the vampire genre skyrocketing into the public eye, redefining the genre. It’s a dark, moody and terrifying film, definitely a bit more sexual than some of the other movies on this list. It’s a classic that many vampire movies are compared to, particularly other Dracula adaptations. If you want to watch something that’s bloody and frightening, this is the perfect fit for your movie night.

Interview With A Vampire

If Hotel Transylvania is the opposite of moody, then this movie is moody personified. Tom Cruise stars as Lestat, a vampire who enjoys killing humans far too much, in comparison to his partner, Louis, who allowed himself to be turned into a vampire — only to find himself sickened by his new life. The visuals of this movie are beautiful, if nothing else this is an excellent movie just to look at. Overall, this movie is a classic worth watching if you love vampires and melodrama.

While this list is by no means exhaustive, it is an excellent collection of vampire movies worth watching, whether you’re a longtime fan of the genre, or new to the world of vampire cinema. Are there any other vampire movies you think are awesome? Let us know!

Ria Boldt

U Vic '20

Ria is a slightly confused fourth year at the University of Victoria, with a major in tea drinking and a minor in freelance superhero-ing. When not busy she can usually be found reading, eating, or re-watching all of the Star Wars movies.
Emma is a second-year graduate student at the University of Victoria. She's a pop-culture-obsessed filmmaker and aspiring video game designer. When she isn't writing for Her Campus or burning her eyes from staring at a screenplay that just isn't working, she's probably at home playing video games, watching movies (it's technically homework, she's studying them) or mindlessly scrolling through her TikTok feed.