This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

With New York and London Fashion Weeks over, and Milan and Paris still to come, there are a lot of models walking down the runway lately. We’ve seen a ton of totally wearable looks, like fringes, metallic colours, and colour blocking. However, there were a few particularly interesting trends that caught our eye here at HC at UVic, so here is a list of the strangest things our team has seen in the past couple of weeks.

1. Fur nails

Photo Source

Libertine’s show this year was full of fun graphics and patterns, but one thing about their models stood out more than anything else: they had furry nails (don’t worry, it’s faux!). We can’t imagine these being easy to do, but it might be fun to give them a try! 

2. Cross body shoulder-strap bags

Photo Source

Models were seen wearing short, shoulder-strap bags as cross body bags on the runways of Proenza Schouler, further proving that fashion will always trump comfort, and that awkwardness can become trendy with the right designer label.

3. Lanyards 

Photo Source

Any university student will love this one. Lanyards were all over the place during Men’s Fashion Week this year, and we couldn’t be more excited. Their stylish looks might be more fashionable than the keys dangling from our dollar-store lanyards, but we’re glad we can copy this one for cheap.

4. Vampire makeup

Photo Source

As far as beauty goes, we’ve seen the “vampy” look become increasingly popular over the last few years, but the makeup at the Marc Jacobs show looked more like me after I found out that Beyoncé’s “Formation” tour isn’t coming to Vancouver.

5. Fishnets

Photo Source

In terms of fabrics, netting seems to be pretty big this year. Big names like Miley Cyrus and Rihanna have both sported this risqué and sexy style.

6. Snow pants

Photo Source

As Canadians, we got embarrassingly excited when we saw overall snow pants on the DKNY runway this year. Never before had we considered snow pants to be high fashion, but we’re not complaining. Now we can all be models.

Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison
Elizabeth is an undergraduate psychology student at the University of Victoria. She is a lover of the performing arts, the Avengers, comfort food, and tall tall shoes. Hailing from Ontario, Elizabeth looks forward to soaking up the West Coast sunshine, sipping Flat Whites, and getting to know the Greater Victoria community.