alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

6 Kinds of People You Meet in Victoria

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Victoria is a beautiful city full of interesting and unique people. Lots of people call it the city of “newlyweds and nearly deads,” but I think that, in the year 2021, we can be a bit more nuanced than that. So, here are six types of people you meet in Victoria, BC.

Born and Raised West Coast Babes.

It can be raining enough to soak through a raincoat and so windy that umbrellas are completely useless, but these icons are out in their Patagonia fleeces saying, “I love the rain. This is nothing compared to Vancouver.”

People from Calgary and Toronto.

This category actually has two subtypes: those who love their home city and seem to have moved to BC just to constantly talk about how things are back home (“This snow is nothing, back in MY city…“) and those who absolutely despise the city they came from.

Victoria Buzz commenters who think bike lane jokes are the peak of comedy.

Vic Buzz will be minding their business and will post something fun like “Things to do in Victoria today,” and every comment will be “You mean other than build more bike lanes?? LOL!” Seriously, guys, get another joke.

And their nemeses, those who have made owning a bicycle their whole identity.

I’m so sorry, I will not “come spin” with you. How are y’all biking down Shelbourne worry-free? I respect you, but I am terrified for you.

The same white brunette man who “loves adventures and good conversation,” cloned

1000 times and given a Tinder account.

Where are they all coming from? No, I will not be the Pam to your Jim. Helpful tip if you’re looking to spot one of these: he wears his toques rolled up above his ears.

People who know more about boats than I know about myself.

I thought that my hours watching Bravo’s Below Deck made me something of a boat expert, but one minute of speaking to someone who actually spends time around boats has taught me that I am wrong. And that I should stop calling ships “big ol’ boats.”

Newlyweds and nearly deads.

They do exist! And the overlap between these folks and those listed above is very real.

Hopefully, we’ll all be able to get back out into the world soon (after the vaccine is distributed) and hang out with (or avoid) these Victoria personalities.

Emma is a second-year graduate student at the University of Victoria. She's a pop-culture-obsessed filmmaker and aspiring video game designer. When she isn't writing for Her Campus or burning her eyes from staring at a screenplay that just isn't working, she's probably at home playing video games, watching movies (it's technically homework, she's studying them) or mindlessly scrolling through her TikTok feed.