alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

6 Achievable New Years Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

It’s that time of year when many collegiates decide to embody the ‘new year -new me’ mentality. Whether in the long lines for gym equipment, the full tables at the library, or the busy environment at campus health restaurants, it is evident that many students on campus are trying New Year’s resolutions. If you are like me, the New Year stands as an annual reminder of what I’d like to change myself. It’s always the resolutions to exercise more and sleep more that are on my mind, but sometimes it is hard to reach these goals. However, here are six achievable actions you can take to make a difference to your life and the lives of others in 2017.

1. Aim to go to the gym once or twice a week: if you aren’t a gym-goer it can be quite hard to get started. Start with baby steps.

2. Go to bed half an hour earlier when you can: it is tough to ensure that you are getting the recommended amount of sleep every night with your busy schedule and lifestyle. However, try to get thirty minutes of extra sleep each night compared to last year’s normal bedtime.

3. Get to know one new person in each class: making new friends can be quite daunting, but who knows, maybe you will find a new best friend!

4. Smile more often!: This can lighten your mood and maybe make someone else’s day.

5. Have a phone-less hour a day: try meditating, reading, or just relaxing and reflecting on your day. It may be an opportunity for you to de-stress, clear your mind, and have time to yourself.  

6. Cut back on your coffee consumption: instead, maybe try having water or juice to quench your thirst.

So there you have it! Have a great 2017 and good luck with the year that lies ahead. 

Megan Thompson is a third year student at University of Victoria who is completing a degree in Hispanic Studies. She is currently the Outreach Director for her chapter, and after she graduates from UVic she intends to pursue a law degree at either UBC or UVic. 
Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison