5 Ways to Remember the Fallen this Remembrance Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Photo Source 

Remembrance Day is the time to reflect on and remember those who fell during wars for our freedom today. If you are looking for special ways to show your appreciation and to commemorate those who died for our nation, Victoria and other cities in the lower mainland are hosting events for anyone to attend.

1. CapriCCio sings “In Remembrance”

Music has the power to elicit certain feelings and images. For those who would like to remember through a musical experience, the CapriCCio Vocal Ensemble will be performing a Remembrance Day concert for all to see. More information about tickets, location timing and more can be found on the Tourism Victoria website.

2. Remembrance Day at Royal Roads

According to Tourism Victoria, the Vancouver Island Ex-Cadet Club will be hosting an event at the Italian Garden located at Royal Roads University.  Refreshments are to follow this ceremony. If you are eager to learn more about the Vancouver Island Ex-Cadet Club and their purpose, feel free to check out their blog or Facebook page

3. Saanich Remembrance Day Ceremony

Attending a ceremony is a great way to pause and reflect on the purpose of Remembrance Day. The district of Saanich will be hosting an event in front of the Saanich Municipal hall. The Saanich website has more details on the ceremony.

Photo Source 

And for those of you that will be spending your Remembrance Day in the Lower Mainland, here are some events for you to check out:

4. Kennedy House Seniors’ Society and Corporation of Delta Remembrance Day Ceremony

For those looking for a more physical way to remember those that have died for us, a wreath-laying ceremony will be taking place at the North Delta Social Heart Plaza. More information can be found on the Veterans Affairs Canada website .

5. “11”: A community Music and History Project

Sometimes visuals help people connect to an event or emotion. This 11 minute performance in Vancouver will do just that. In this visual retelling of the stories of soldiers, anyone in the audience is sure to feel even more of a relationship to the importance of Remembrance Day.

Whether you attend an event or simply pause for that moment of silence at the 11th hour of the day, make sure you take a moment to reflect on the freedom you enjoy today and to remember the many lives that were lost. 

Femi Tunde-Oladepo is in her final year at the University of Victoria where she is studying at the Peter B. Gustavson School of Business. After her undergrad, Femi hopes to read law and master French, Spanish and Italian. She is an active volunteer in her community and enjoys working with the Rotaract Club on campus. Having filled numerous notebooks as a child, Femi adores writing — especially short stories. She likes to dance (spontaneously), listen to all genres of music, laugh loudly and be the sassiest person in a room. In her spare time, Femi likes to window shop online, go for runs and reorganize spaces. One day, Femi hopes to perfect the art of soft pretzels. Follow her on Instagram @femzieb to see her attempts at being artsy and pensive.