5 Struggles of an Awkward Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

If you are anything like me, graceful isn’t a word anyone would EVER use to describe you. You may be an awkward girl if you daily go through anything on this list…1.     You stare a lot.

Discrete is definitely not your specialty. If something is in your line of sight you’re going to stare. This is one of the many reasons you’ve creeped out so most of your crushes. It’s not like you mean to stare, it’s just because…

2.     You don’t know what to say.

Conversations usually don’t start because you can’t remember how to use words. When you do speak, it usually results in a string of letters that can’t be found in a dictionary. At least you have a knack for creating new words, right?3.     You spill and/or drop something at least once a day.

You have fingers and hands; you just regularly forget how to use them. I remember during the first week of school, I was casually  writing notes and some how drew a line down my neighbour’s arm. Woops, I apparently thought your skin was paper. Sorry about that bud.4.     You take interesting photos.

Most people have control of what’s going on with their face. You, however, find yourself wide-eyed, blinking or half smiling in almost every single picture.5.     You blurt things out.

People often think that you don’t have a filter because you’ll say the most random things at the wrong time. A first date is probably not the best time to mention your sixth toe…

Femi Tunde-Oladepo is in her final year at the University of Victoria where she is studying at the Peter B. Gustavson School of Business. After her undergrad, Femi hopes to read law and master French, Spanish and Italian. She is an active volunteer in her community and enjoys working with the Rotaract Club on campus. Having filled numerous notebooks as a child, Femi adores writing — especially short stories. She likes to dance (spontaneously), listen to all genres of music, laugh loudly and be the sassiest person in a room. In her spare time, Femi likes to window shop online, go for runs and reorganize spaces. One day, Femi hopes to perfect the art of soft pretzels. Follow her on Instagram @femzieb to see her attempts at being artsy and pensive.
Originally from Calgary, Alberta, Melissa Guenette currently studies business at the University of Victoria's Peter B. Gustavson School of Business. When she's not studying for midterms or finals, Melissa enjoys reading Harry Potter, being out in nature, and considers herself a connoisseur for all things dessert related. With her dry sense of humour and charismatic personality, she often leaves a room in stitches, a quality she considers beneficial while working on HerCampus' UVic Chapter. Follow her on Twitter @MelGuenette.