5 Simple Makeup Ideas for the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

(Photo Source)

It’s official! December is here and holiday festivities are already in full swing. What better way to get into the spirit than by breaking out the glitter and stepping up your holiday makeup game? You might as well look as merry and bright as you can while celebrating this time of year. To help, here are some makeup ideas to make any collegiette look extra festive this season!

1. Winterize your nails.

Show your love for the holidays by adding some Christmas cheer to your nails. You can go as crazy as the gel mani shown above by asking for a mini North Pole on your hands at the nail salon or you could add a subtle burgundy polish to get into the spirit. If you need inspiration, Top Inspired has a variety of holiday looks with tutorials to help you find your perfect winter nails.

2. Go for a bold red lip.

(Photo Source)

Look sophisticated and elegant with a classic red lip. It’s sure to be a winner at every holiday party, and is the perfect way to keep it simple while still making a statement. Mix things up and get a bolder look by going for a dark matte lipstick. For tips on how to the get the perfect scarlet shade for yourself check out Beauty New NYC.

3. Brighten up your face.

Don’t let the dark December days flush out your face. Play around with some copper tones to make your complexion lively and bright or apply a little bit of bronzer to make your face shine just a bit more. For tips on how to properly pull off this look in the wintertime visit Pop Sugar.

4. Add some glitter to your cat eye.

Make your cat eyes stand out by adding a little shimmer to them! Add a little gold or silver eyeliner to the ends of your wings, or go all out and do a full glittery stroke over your eyes to make them pop. It’s the perfect way to add some subtle sparkle to your New Years Eve getup, and is sure to stand out from simple black lines. Check out By Celina to see how to get this easy holiday look.

5. Go for a berry-tinted smoky eye.

Skip the dull black and greys this holiday season, and try something a little different with your smoky eye. Get inspired by the rich colours of the season and try this look with a hint of purple or red to shake it up. For a step-by-step tutorial of the smoky eye above, check out Keikolynn.

Rachel is a second year student at the University of Victoria with plans to graduate with a Bachelor of Commerce. She is a film fanatic, a London Fog addict, and is passionate about travelling.
Femi Tunde-Oladepo is in her final year at the University of Victoria where she is studying at the Peter B. Gustavson School of Business. After her undergrad, Femi hopes to read law and master French, Spanish and Italian. She is an active volunteer in her community and enjoys working with the Rotaract Club on campus. Having filled numerous notebooks as a child, Femi adores writing — especially short stories. She likes to dance (spontaneously), listen to all genres of music, laugh loudly and be the sassiest person in a room. In her spare time, Femi likes to window shop online, go for runs and reorganize spaces. One day, Femi hopes to perfect the art of soft pretzels. Follow her on Instagram @femzieb to see her attempts at being artsy and pensive.