Summer reading season is the best season! After spending months dwelling over academic journals and statistics, it’s nice to dive into a relaxing novel. If you need any suggestions, I chose five books on my must-read list for the summer. These sparked my interest when making my summer reading list, and hopefully it will inspire you to make one as well! 

What Comes After: A Novel – Joanne Tompkins

If you’re looking for a mystery, this book is for you! Set in the Pacific Northwest, this novel explores loss, change and human relationships.

Black Buck – Mateo Askaripour

The satirical read explores the race dynamics involved in America’s office environment, as a young African-American man is suddenly thrown into a suspicious New York startup. This novel explores the modern concept of the American Dream in a corporate setting and allows for a dose of humour while discussing a serious topic in America today.

You Love Me – Caroline Kepnes

The third installment of the beloved You series, we explore the mind of Joe Goldberg once again. If you’re like me, you’re anticipating the third season of the TV adaptation. This novel allows you to visit the storyline before the next season being released later this year.

The Girls I’ve Been – Tess Sharpe

Soon to be adapted for the screen starring Millie Bobby Brown, this YA novel is filled with con artists and bank heists. It is sure to be a thriller! As a bonus, by reading the book now, you can pick up a copy without the pesky “now a feature movie” permanent decal!

Klara and the Sun – Kazuo Ishiguro

What if you could buy friends? Ishiguro explores this concept with AI in his dystopian fiction. With Ishiguro having won the Nobel Prize in Literature, this novel is guaranteed to be a modern science fiction classic.

Want even more summer reading? Check out Michelle’s articles 8 New and Upcoming Books to Read by Asian Authors and 7 Books to Read and Celebrate for Black History Month!

Savannah is currently in her second year at Uvic, majoring in English and Business. When not swamped with studying, she can be found exploring downtown, drinking way to much coffee, reading, and enjoying the experiences UVic has to offer.