This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

The theme of this year’s Earth Day (April 22nd) is “Restore Our Earth.”

While we all want to feel good and boost well-being, many of our favourite cosmetics come at a high price to the climate. Non-recyclable packaging takes years to break down in landfills, toxic ingredients drain into the ocean’s ecosystem, and palm oil has devastating effects on biodiversity.

If you are looking to hit reset on your spring beauty routine, try some of these products, which are kind to you and the planet!

Jack59’s Shampoo Bars

For a long-lasting switch-up that saves on waste, opting for a shampoo bar could save you up to three refills of standard bottles. 

Jack59’s bars are made using ethically sourced ingredients and a 100% plastic-free production process. Based in Edmonton, Alberta, the company is also committed to hiring local women (double win!).

The Island Tropics shampoo is scented with bamboo extract to replenish your locks and make that shower feel like a beach vacation.

Aquarian Soul’s Clay Mask

Made from a plant-based formula, this brand sources many of its ingredients from its own organic herb garden. Their products are also vegan and palm-oil free.
This particular clay mask is infused with citrine powder to wake up your skin after exam season all-nighters and contains natural astringents such as pineapple for gentle exfoliation without any nasty plastic microbeads.

Green Beaver’s Mineral Sunscreen

As the temperature rises, we often forget that our skin is exposed to harmful UV rays even during spring. Opting for moisturising sun-protectors can help prevent the dehydrating and ageing effects of the sun.

Mineral formulas are gentler on the skin, offering SPF without the harsh chemicals. Green Beaver’s formula is organic-certified, uses a zinc oxide base and comes in 100% biodegradable packaging.

Burt’s Bees’ Glow Booster Serum

Burt’s Bees have achieved the leaping bunny ‘cruelty-free’ certification. This label means none of their products are tested on animals. You can find them in many major supermarkets and drugstores, saving you costs and carbon on shipping!

They are also committed to sourcing recyclable plastics and use 50%+ recycled materials in their packaging solutions. (Always look up your local recycling regulations to see what is taken in your area.)

Their glow-booster is a brand new formula that awakens the complexion with 100% natural ingredients, perfect for a pick-me-up after a long winter.

Tru Earth’s Reusable Bamboo Rounds

Ditch the disposable cotton remover pads, and choose a more sustainable option!

Tru Earth’s rounds are made from 100% natural bamboo fibres and even come with their own washable mesh bag. Once you’re done, simply throw the whole bag in with your laundry and quick-dry before reusing.

There’s nothing wrong with taking some time out or giving yourself a beauty treat, and with these conscious buys, you can make choices that are kinder to the planet.

Remember to avoid waste and only buy products you will genuinely use and enjoy!

Find out more about Earth Day here: www.earthday.org

Sarah is a 27 year old MA Art History and Visual Studies student at Uvic. She loves writing about art, film and music. When she's not busy blogging or studying she loves to dance, practise yoga, visit galleries and cook yummy vegetarian food!
Emma is a second-year graduate student at the University of Victoria. She's a pop-culture-obsessed filmmaker and aspiring video game designer. When she isn't writing for Her Campus or burning her eyes from staring at a screenplay that just isn't working, she's probably at home playing video games, watching movies (it's technically homework, she's studying them) or mindlessly scrolling through her TikTok feed.