This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Hi! My name is Ali and I’ve always been a little bit of a romantic. While my love of Nicholas Sparks novels, ‘90s  rom-coms, and sweeping musical numbers about falling in love have probably clouded my judgment and expectations about what love actually is, I won’t let that stop me from being your personal Emma Woodhouse (the famed matchmaker from Jane Austen’s “Emma”). For all of you Victoria people who need a couple ideas for a future date with a new dating app match, a significant other, or a classmate you’re crushing on, here are five dates I’ve carefully planned out for you and your bae. And the best part is these dates don’t involve Netflix and chilling (that’s not a date, sorry not sorry). Hopefully there is something for every type of person on this list and feel free to make modifications as needed!

Happy dating!

Date One: For the cute and casual people

Start out the date by grabbing a coffee and a pastry from Bear and Joey or Moka House. Make sure it’s to go! A quick drive from here is Dallas Road where you can park and walk along the Ogden Point breakwater. The length of the breakwater is the perfect distance to have a casual chat and get to know each other! If it’s too stormy to walk along the distance, then watching the storm in your car while enjoying your coffee and treats is another great suggestion. This is the perfect combo of “casual coffee date” and “nice walk together.” 

Date Two: For the active people

If you and your bae are self proclaimed gym rats (or just like getting fit together) check out Axe and Grind! It’s the perfect way to get to know each other while participating in a little bit of healthy competition and physical activity (think of the paint-balling scene from Ten Things I Hate About You. Hellooo sexual tension). Spice the date up a little by going for the knife-throwing option. 

Date Three: For the art/film people

Start the date off with a stroll around the Art Gallery of Greater Victoria or Legacy Art Gallery. If art isn’t your thing, catch a movie at the Capitol 6 Theatres.Then pop over to the Tapa Bar where you can talk art or film lingo over wine and tapas. 

Date Four: For the outdoorsy people

Rent or take your own paddle boards and  kayaks out to Oak Bay Marina or Brentwood Bay. It’s the perfect way to enjoy the scenery of the West Coast with your partner and it gives you the chance to chat while getting some fresh air. 

Date Five: For the “let’s just stay in” people 

Pop down beforehand to a grocery store of your choice and pick up all the supplies needed for making a charcuterie board, and enjoy a nice chat or board game with the platter you so thoughtfully crafted together. *DO NOT WATCH NETFLIX OR CHILL ON THE COUCH WITH THE BOARD*! Unless you want to, but then again I promised there would be no “netflix-and-chilling” on this list. 

With that I bid you to enjoy your bae’s company, be safe, and have a fun date!

Alison is a third-year student at the University of Victoria pursuing a Bachelor of Arts in English Literature with a minor in Professional Communication. When she isn't planning her next big article you can find Ali in the dance studio, catching a wave in Tofino, browsing the Aritzia clearance rack, or crafting the perfect oat milk latte.