Style

4 Ways to Spice Up Your Winter Wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

It’s already October and the winter season is around the corner. For a lot of university women, it’s stressing over midterm time but I say it’s time to prepare your winter wardrobe. Our winter clothing mostly consists of black and other dark colours. Cold weather makes everything too gloomy and the least we can do is to not wear a gloomy outfit. So, here are some ways to spice up your winter wardrobe! 

Add a lot of neutral colours.

Tip number one would be to add more than one or two neutral colours in your outfit. Neutral colours like black, brown, grey, white & beige often do not make a statement in the outfit. These colours are not as loud as red or green and are soft on the eyes. Hence, adding a lot of neutrals would let each aspect of your outfit speak slightly and as a whole would make a statement. Make sure to use shades & tones of black, white & brown. Pure & very dark form of these colours can make your outfit scream. Here, all my outfit is in the shades of beige.

Make a part of your outfit bright.

Try keeping everything in your outfit neutral except for one accessory, piece of clothing or statement makeup. Make sure the neutral part of the outfit belongs to the same colour group (e.g. all black, not blacks and beiges)… Here, my whole outfit is in shades of beige, except for the red scarf.

Try a maxi skirt.

A lot of people miss out but you can stay very warm in a maxi skirt. You can wear warm leggings beneath it no one ever would know! Here, I have layered a maxi skirt with a denim jacket. The jacket gives a casual feel to it while the skirt gives an edgy one.

Accessorize your accessories. 

Sometimes playing around with accessories gives your outfit an edge! You can even use your accessories to accessorize different accessories as I did with my handbag. Here, I have taken a black & white striped cotton scarf and tied it around my handbag. I kept the rest of my outfit pretty simple with an oversized hoodie with brown knee-length boots.

Those are some ways I try to give an edge to my winter outfits! What are your winter fashion tips? Comment and let us know.

Aashi, originally from New Delhi, India,  is in her fifth year at the University of Victoria pursuing economics. She likes to travel, explore new places and would be down for a road trip at any point in time. She also loves to experiment with fashion.
Meet Rachel Watson! Originally from Prince George, she moved to Victoria to start her undergraduate degree in 2016 and is now in her fourth year. Rachel's major is linguistics and she is pursuing a minor in psychology. She is elated to be one of the two Campus Correspondents for her lovely chapter at the University of Victoria.