3 Makeup Looks You’ll Fall in Love with this Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

I had the pleasure of teaming up with three lovely ladies from UVic’s Makeup Artistry Club(MAC) to create some lovely looks for Valentine’s day as well as receive some awesome tips. Whether you’re going on a fancy date, or spending the night with your friends, I’m sure one of these looks will cater to you!

Glamour and Glow

Glamorous and glowy are the only way to summarize this beautiful look created by Isabelle. The iridescent glow will look great under most date-night lightings. Paired with the perfect pink lip this look will serve you well on any occasion. Here’s how you achieve this fabulous glow:

Eyes:

1. First, start by applying eye shadow primer to your lids so that your shadow can stay all day and night and then apply a neutral shade to the entire lid.

2. Next, take a bronze or dark copper shade and apply it to the middle and outer part of the lid making sure to extend it up into the crease.

3. In the outer crease and corner of the eye, apply a darker brown shade creating a sideward V movement with your brush.

4. Then apply a shimmery/champagne color in the inner lid and around your waterline- this will make your eyes appear bigger and help you look more awake.

5. Lastly, be sure to blend out all harsh lines and the crease of your eye to give a smooth and elegant finish.

Isabelle’s number one tip is to blend out your shadows; her rule of thumb is “when in doubt, blend it out”. Harsh lines aren’t the most attractive, especially if you planning on getting up close and personal with someone. Isabelle stresses that in order to achieve a polished look good brushes and endless blending is crucial.

Cheeks:

When asked to choose between contouring or highlighting, Isabelle would choose a good highlight any day! Here’s how to give your cheeks radiant glow.

1. Apply a liquid or cream highlighter base above the apples of the cheeks. With your fingers, blend it into the cheeks extending it in a line moving towards the top of your ear.

2. To set the base dust a powdered highlight over it, using a fan brush (for a lighter finish), or a small stipple brush (for a fuller finish) .

Radiant Rouge

A bold lip may not be kiss proof for Valentine’s day, but it’s perfect if you’re planning on spending your night with the girls, or if you’re brave and bold. What’s perfect about a red lip is that it can be both dramatic and classy. Here’s how Maryna achieved her vivid profile:

Eyes:

1. Apply eye shadow primer and a neutral color on all over the lid.

2. Take a champagne shade and pat it all over the lid.

3. Next with a liquid or pen liner, create a thick cat eye line.

4. Next, take any shimmery rose shadow and focus it on the outer corner of the eye. Be sure to build up the intensity of the colour the further into the crease you get.

5. Apply a coat of mascara let it dry then apply your flash lashes. Finish off with a final coat of mascara.

Maryna’s tip for applying false lashes is to make sure you let the glue dry. She stresses that patience is key when applying falsies because they should be sturdy before moving on to liner or more mascara. It’s important to trim your false lashes so that they properly fit your eyes, and to wait for the glue to dry before applying mascara. Maryna loves to pair dramatic lashes and lips together for a very feminine look. 

Lips:

1. Start by moisturizing your lips.

2. With a red lip liner pencil, outline your lips then continue to fill them in.

3. If desired, apply a similar shade of gloss focusing on the centre of your lips.

Simple Yet Sultry 

Noa paired her natural lips with a brown smoky eye to give a simple yet sultry look. This look is extremely versatile and simple-perfect for an afternoon date. Here’s how Noa got this subtle, yet flirty appearance:

Eyes:

1. Start by priming the eyelids with eye shadow primer and a neutral color.

2. Apply a rose gold shadow all over the lid.

3. Brush and blend a taupe shade into the crease.

4. With an angle brush emphasize the crease and outer corner with a grey or dark brown shade.

5. Apply eyeliner and a single coat of mascara, then apply false eyelashes.

What Noa’s suggests to fellow makeup enthusiasts and beginners is to “be aware of over pigmented shadows when you’re first applying it”. Noa also recommends using tape as a guide to help get your eyeliner and eye shadow shape correctly. Lastly, Noa mentions to highlight the cupids bow and just under the eyebrow bone to brighten everything up.

Lips:

1. Moisturize your lips.

2. Take a peach, nude or pink lip liner then line the lips.

3. Apply a nude liquid lipstick over your lined lips.

There you have it collegiettes! Get festive and try rocking one of these eye-catching makeup looks and a big thank you to the MAC girls for the great tips and gorgeous Valentine’s day looks!

Samantha is a fourth-year student at, Simon Fraser University, pursuing a double major in political science and communication. When not keeping up with what's new in pop culture, Samantha can often be found sipping on Starbucks drinks, or enjoying one-too-many YouTube videos. Aside from writing for Her Campus, Samantha's passion for fashion, fitness, and nutrition is what keeps her going through the week. She's self-motivated, friendly, and never turns down a cup of tea and a nice chat!
Femi Tunde-Oladepo is in her final year at the University of Victoria where she is studying at the Peter B. Gustavson School of Business. After her undergrad, Femi hopes to read law and master French, Spanish and Italian. She is an active volunteer in her community and enjoys working with the Rotaract Club on campus. Having filled numerous notebooks as a child, Femi adores writing — especially short stories. She likes to dance (spontaneously), listen to all genres of music, laugh loudly and be the sassiest person in a room. In her spare time, Femi likes to window shop online, go for runs and reorganize spaces. One day, Femi hopes to perfect the art of soft pretzels. Follow her on Instagram @femzieb to see her attempts at being artsy and pensive.