absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

3 Easy Vegan Desserts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

The thought of baking desserts on a vegan diet can be intimidating to many people. Even my mom has frantically asked me before a family get-together, “but what will you have for dessert?” The reality is that vegan baked goods aren’t all breakfast oat bars and bran muffins; vegans enjoy practically every treat that everyone else does, just with minor adjustments. Be sure to try out a recipe from below and let us know how it goes (and if you could even tell it was vegan!)

No Bake Chocolate Macaroons

This one is for all of the novice bakers out there. These macaroons are great because their small, portable size is perfect for snacking. No stove is required, but you will need some room in your freezer for them to solidify. As well, this recipe is pretty healthy – coconut oil over olive oil, maple syrup instead of sugar, plus chia seeds and a banana make this treat quite filling! Try it out here!

Chocolate Brownies

I tried these for the first time last weekend, and let me tell you, no one could tell they were vegan. How great is that? They seemed a bit more on the cake-y side than a true brownie, but they were great nonetheless. The recipe is super simple and uses ingredients you’d be sure to find in a non-vegan’s house. My only complaint is that it’s a not-so-healthy recipe, calling for one cup of white sugar and one cup of vegetable oil. I trimmed that down to three quarters cup each and it didn’t make a difference to me. I also topped it off with some walnuts I had lying around … so good. Try it for yourself here!

Banana Bread

This banana bread is next on my list and I’m hoping to check it off this weekend. The recipe seems pretty simple – the only ingredients you may not already have for this would be flaxseed and non-dairy milk, but you can easily find those at any grocery store. Despite not having baked this yet, I practically trust my life with the OhSheGlows blog, so I’m confident enough to say that this banana bread will be a winner. Check it out here.

Do you have any must-try vegan recipes? Let us know!

Born and raised in Victoria, British Columbia, Emily Mall is currently in her fourth year at the University of Victoria pursuing an undergraduate degree in Art History + Visual Studies with a minor in Film Studies. In her free time, she can be found sending memes to her friends, playing with her two tabby cats, or sipping a chai tea latte. Emily previously served as the Social Media Director for HerCampus UVic.
Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison