This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Halloween parties are non-existent this year, but that doesn’t mean you have to be sober! Enjoy these cocktails (responsibly) and enjoy one of the best holidays at home.

Pumpkin Spice White Russian

This simple drink takes the holiday favourite White Russian and transitions it into a lovely autumn-inspired cocktail. Boozy pumpkin spice latte anyone?

Ingredients:

Ice (optional)

1 1/2 ounce Kahlúa

3/4 cups of milk 

1 tablespoon pumpkin spice syrup (or 1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice + a dash of sugar if desired)

Candy corn for garnish (optional)

To assemble the iced version: 

1. Start by putting ice in the cup of your choosing. 

2. If you have a cocktail shaker, add the milk, Kahlúa and pumpkin spice syrup and shake well. Pouring these ingredients directly on the ice and stirring will work in lieu of a shaker. 

3. Garnish with candy corn.

For a hot version: 

1. Omit the ice and slowly warm the milk on a stovetop, stirring regularly. 

2. We do not want boiled milk, so remove the milk from the stove when it starts to steam. 

3. Pour into a mug of your choice. 

4. Add Kahlúa and pumpkin spice syrup and stir.

Spiced Moscow Mule

A take on my absolute favourite drink, the spicy ginger beer with added pumpkin pie spice and a touch of pumpkin syrup isn’t too sweet but hits the fall notes just right.

Ingredients:

2 – 4 ounces vodka of your choice (I have 0 preference on vodka, usually I use Alberta Pure to humble myself)

~1 tablespoon of pumpkin syrup (adjust for preferred sweetness)

¼ teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice

½ a fresh lime

¾ (or so, I eyeball it) of ginger beer. Use your favourite, I like Fentimans.

1. If you have one, combine all ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice and shake! If not, add all ingredients to a copper mug mule (or a glass) and stir vigorously.

Black Widow Cocktail

If you’re looking for something with a bit more of a spook factor, consider trying a Black Widow Cocktail. It uses activated charcoal to give it an eerie look, which will definitely make it a hit at your stay-at-home Halloween.

Please note that activated charcoal will affect any medications you might be taking. If you’d prefer, this cocktail is still just as tasty without the charcoal.

Ingredients:

3 ounces vodka or gin

2-3 ounces creme de cassis

1 ounce simple syrup

1 teaspoon activated charcoal

Approximately 2 blackberries (for garnish)

1. Mix the vodka (or gin), creme de cassis, simple syrup, and charcoal together and either stir vigorously or shake in a cocktail shaker with ice.

Strain out the drink into a glass of your choosing (a martini glass if you’re feeling particularly fancy). 

1. Garnish with blackberries.

2. Enjoy!

While we can’t go out or party this Halloween, we can absolutely still enjoy the night — and get a little tipsy while we’re at it with these fall cocktails to join us.

For a demonstration of how to make these delicious drinks, check out our video tutorial!

Savannah is currently in her fourth year at UVic majoring in English and Business! When not swamped with readings, she can be found exploring downtown, drinking way too many pumpkin spice cold brews, reading, and enjoying the experiences UVic has to offer.
Ria Boldt

U Vic '20

Ria is a slightly confused fourth year at the University of Victoria, with a major in tea drinking and a minor in freelance superhero-ing. When not busy she can usually be found reading, eating, or re-watching all of the Star Wars movies.
Hi!
Emma is a second-year graduate student at the University of Victoria. She's a pop-culture-obsessed filmmaker and aspiring video game designer. When she isn't writing for Her Campus or burning her eyes from staring at a screenplay that just isn't working, she's probably at home playing video games, watching movies (it's technically homework, she's studying them) or mindlessly scrolling through her TikTok feed.