The 2015 Grammy’s Fashion Round Up: The Good, The Bad, and The Crazy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

The Grammy’s has always been a huge night for fashion. Since the event is not as formal as other award nights like the Oscar’s, celebrities often make riskier outfit decisions making for a wild red carpet experience. This year was no different. This year’s biggest stars certainly made an impression at music’s biggest night.

THE GOOD

Nicki Minaj – Nicki recently began switching out her crazy, animal print wigs for a much more minimal look and has been killing it. She rocked a gorgeous Tom Ford dress with a ton of cleavage. This number has been making it on a ton of best-dressed lists and I definitely agree with that decision.

Kim Kardashian – Although Kim isn’t a musician herself, she still made a huge impression at the Grammy’s. Styled by her fashion obsessed rapper husband Kanye, Kim certainly fit in with all the glitter and glam in the robe inspired Jean Paul Gautier dress.

Chrissy Teigen – Although she needed to forgo underwear, model Chrissy Teigen did not forgo style. Cut-outs were a major trend at this year’s event and this Gucci dress showcased that perfectly. Chrissy may have been there to support her husband John Legend, however she certainly stole the show on the red carpet.

THE BAD

Charli XCX – I don’t know what she was trying to accomplish with this outfit, but pop singer Charli XCX ended up looking incredibly tacky. Menswear can look amazing on the red carpet when done correctly, but Charli veered way of course with her white tux and greasy hair. I didn’t like this look in Mean Girls and I certainly don’t like it now.

Kaya Jones – The ex-member of The Pussycat Dolls apparently tried to win back 15 minutes of fame in this prom dress gone wrong. While the look certainly got some attention, I doubt it was the kind Kaya was looking for. She may need to be reminded that not all press is good press.

Ariana Grande – I was super disappointed when I saw Ariana arrive at the Grammy’s this year. The pop singer hasn’t always nailed her red carpet looks, and unfortunately she wasn’t able to this year either. The silver draping just looks awkward and the cut out and slit seemed like mistakes.

THE CRAZY

Madonna – Madonna has never been one to shy away from fashion risks and this year she took the red carpet by storm in this lingerie-matador getup. While most fashion critics were shocked, a small handful actually praised the bold look. I guess if anyone could pull this outfit off, it would be Madonna.

Rihanna – She may have won the 2014 CFDA Fashion award, but many were very displeased with Rihanna’s choice in wearing the pink, poufy Giambattista Valli dress. While Rihanna is undisputedly one of the biggest style icons right now, she may have taken it a bit too far at this night. 

Joy Villa – Jennifer Lawrence became a household name after wearing that iconic orange-y Calvin Klein dress to the Oscars in 2011. This is the only reason I can imagine why the aspiring singer Joy Villa decided to wear this bright orange DIY project to the Grammy’s. Although it is a poor excuse for a dress, it certainly turned heads and gained Villa some attention from potential fans.

Sources 123123123

Third year UVic business student. Lover of food, fashion, and photography.
Originally from Calgary, Alberta, Melissa Guenette currently studies business at the University of Victoria's Peter B. Gustavson School of Business. When she's not studying for midterms or finals, Melissa enjoys reading Harry Potter, being out in nature, and considers herself a connoisseur for all things dessert related. With her dry sense of humour and charismatic personality, she often leaves a room in stitches, a quality she considers beneficial while working on HerCampus' UVic Chapter. Follow her on Twitter @MelGuenette.