20 Hot Summer Songs from Her Campus at UVic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

It can be hard to remember that summer is coming up, especially when you’ve been locked up studying for finals. When you are finally free to hang out by the beach or throw a rager, the Her Campus at UVic team has got you covered! Below are all the songs you need to be blasting this summer season!

Chilling by the Beach

1.     

Though this song isn’t the newest, its beat just gives off summer vibes. Zara Larsson’s calming vocals over the simple melody are exactly what you need to be listening to while relaxing on the sand.

2.     

Joe Jonas will always be our fav Jo-Bro! We fell in love when his new band DNCE released “Cake by the Ocean,” and their newest single is definitely something we’ll have on repeat. This song is filled with cool “summer fling” vibes.

3.    

Flume’s powerful vocals over this edgy beat make this is the perfect song to just chill to. When that chorus hits, you’ll be in the mood for sinking into some warm sand.

4.    

Keith Urban’s easy listening vocals remind us of how simple and fun summer can be. Though it’s old, “Long Hot Summer” reminds of us of the joy summer days bring and of the feeling that anything can happen. This is perfect to listen to as you’re “waiting for the sun to go down.”

5.    

The beat and sweet tone of “Gold” make it the perfect song to relax to. Blast this hit song during a summer bonfire on the beach with your closest friends!

Jamming with your Girls

6.    

“Boombox” is definitely a song we’ll be singing along to in the car with our besties! In her debut single, Laura Marano brings old school pop vibes. Simple lyrics, solid vocals, and a fun beat are the reasons this song will be in our heads all summer! The music video is also adorable, with Ken Jeong making a hilarious appearance.

7.    

Meghan Trainor has captured every girl’s frustration with clubbing in her latest single “NO.” No, we don’t want to dance with you, give you our digits, or chat. We’re just here to have a good time with our girls. This song is the ultimate girls’ night anthem!

8.    

Iggy Iggs is back! If you and your girls turned up the volume whenever “Fancy” came on, you’re going to be doing the same with her latest single, “Team”. The lyrics remind us that we don’t need negative people in our lives; we’re just going to do our thing! There’s a good chance that you and your squad are going to know all the words by then end of the summer!

9.    

Summer heartaches and break ups are bound to happen. Carly Rae captures it all in her latest single, “Boy Problems.” This is the song you and your girls should be listening to during your summer sleepovers as you rant about all the trouble and mixed emotions boys bring!

10.  

Every season, there’s one song with powerful vocals that makes us want to sing along but reminds us that singing is not our talent. In the winter it was Adele’s “Hello.” This summer, “Dangerous Woman” is the song you and your friends will be singing to at the top of your lungs!

Summer Party Playlist

11.  

Last summer we heard “Worth It” every other day. Now Fifth Harmony is back at it again with “Work from Home.” The harmony of the group’s vocals is just one of the reasons this song is so catchy! This sultry but fun song is sure to be another summer hit!

12.  

As we all know, Sia is perfection. In her latest hit featuring Sean Paul, Sia sings to a super catchy dance beat. We think that it’s safe to say that anything with Sean Paul basically sets the summer party vibe (throwback to “Temperature,” anyone?). His tone and lyrics in this song will make you want to groove!

13.  

“I got broads in Atlanta, I got broads in Atlanta.” No summer playlist would be complete without this song. “Panda” is the song you and your squad need to be rolling up to parties listening too. It’s the perfect mix of energy and low-key vibes.

14.  

Will.i.am is back at it again! “Boys & Girls” is sure to be a huge summer hit. The beat is just so groovy and makes you want to go crazy with your friends. Pia Mia’s soft vocals make the chorus so easy to sing along to. You’ll definitely be jamming to this all summer long!

15.  

“Might Not” is the song to wind down with. The Weeknd’s vocals are smooth as usual and Belly’s verse (“she said she don’t believe in God but her shoes Christian”) is fun to listen to.

Summer School Study Vibes

16.  

This is one of those songs that makes you feel like staring outside of your car window and being nostalgic for something you didn’t even realize you missed. The lyrics are so honest and are sung with so much passion. ”7 Years” is perfect to listen to while studying outdoors or enjoying the scenery.

17.  

When you don’t feel like studying for your summer exam or doing anything after work, “Electric Love” is the perfect song to daydream to. It makes us think of a summer fling in paradise. When that chorus hits, it feels like anything is possible!

18.  

Alessia’s vocals never fail to put us at ease! In her latest single, we are reminded how cool we are when we stay true to ourselves. Regardless of your summer plans, it’ll be great because you’ll be with your friends.

19.  

“U Know” is the perfect mix of electronic beats and acoustic instruments. The relaxed energy of the beats makes this a nice song to do your summer school homework to.

20.  

“Tell J.K. that I’m still rolling.” Tinie’s latest song uses a cool, subtle house beat that basically defines summer! Listen to “Girls Like” to celebrate a summer semester well done.

What’s on your summer playlist? Let us know in the comments below! 

Femi Tunde-Oladepo is in her final year at the University of Victoria where she is studying at the Peter B. Gustavson School of Business. After her undergrad, Femi hopes to read law and master French, Spanish and Italian. She is an active volunteer in her community and enjoys working with the Rotaract Club on campus. Having filled numerous notebooks as a child, Femi adores writing — especially short stories. She likes to dance (spontaneously), listen to all genres of music, laugh loudly and be the sassiest person in a room. In her spare time, Femi likes to window shop online, go for runs and reorganize spaces. One day, Femi hopes to perfect the art of soft pretzels. Follow her on Instagram @femzieb to see her attempts at being artsy and pensive.
Elizabeth is an undergraduate psychology student at the University of Victoria. She is a lover of the performing arts, the Avengers, comfort food, and tall tall shoes. Hailing from Ontario, Elizabeth looks forward to soaking up the West Coast sunshine, sipping Flat Whites, and getting to know the Greater Victoria community.