This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Downtown Victoria

The Butchart Gardens

Enjoy Christmas lights, decorations, carollers, and even ice skating at the Butchart Gardens this year. The perfect way to get into the season- they play cheerful Christmas music while you walk through the beautifully decorated garden. Check out their website for specific events going on throughout December.

Mistletoe at Market Square

Share a kiss with your SO under the biggest mistletoe in the city! Found every year at the entrance of Market Square, this it the perfect place to get an adorable photo for your Christmas cards. The Market Square is close to many of our other date ideas, or you can stop by any of the delicious restaurants near by.

Festival of Trees

While usually displayed in the Empress hotel, this year the Festival of Trees has moved to the Bay Centre. Dozens of trees line the halls to raise funds for BC Children’s Hospital. Bring your significant other and pick out which one is your favorite!

Bear Wear at the Hotel Grand Pacific

While you’re downtown, check out the Bear Wear fundraiser at the beautiful Hotel Grand Pacific. Just like the Festival of Trees, this event works as a fundraiser for Vancouver Island Kids, and includes displays of adorably costumed teddy bears. If you want to do more than just that, check their calendar to attend events like Stories with Santa, or Carols and Cocoa.

DVBA Ferris Wheel

For only $2 you can take a ride on the Downtown Victoria Business Association Ferris Wheel. Located in Centennial Square, by the McPherson Playhouse, you can take your SO to enjoy live music and some carnival fun!

Nation Gingerbread Showcase at the Laurel Point Inn

Check out a beautiful display of Gingerbread houses at the Laurel Point Inn this season. This will not only make you hungry, but give you some ideas for your own gingerbread house you can make with your SO at home! You can also make a donation to Habitat for Humanity Victoria, which means all this gingerbread is going to a good cause.

Seeing the Christmas Lights

Photo Source

Try grabbing a coffee and wandering your local neighbourhood to enjoy all the beautifully decorated houses! One beautiful route could be through the Uplands. Start in Cadboro Bay with a festive holiday drink from Starbucks, and walk up Cadboro Bay Road towards Beach Drive. You could also take the 11 bus if you’re feeling lazy or want a warmer journey!

Downtown Vancouver

Skating at Robson Square

Photo Source

If you’re going to be on the mainland over the break, definitely bring your SO to Robson Square for the free Ice Rink. Even if you don’t own your own skates, rentals are only $4! It’s often packed, so get there early (or late!), but will definitely get both of you in the festive mood.

Stanley Park

Check out Bright Nights in Stanley Park! Right in the heart of downtown Vancouver, you can take a ride on the Christmas train, meet Santa, or just take a stroll through the festive lights. All proceeds go to British Columbia Professional Fire Fighters’ Burn Fund. Just make sure to bundle up!

Vancouver Christmas market

Enjoy dozens of vendors offering food and drinks, Christmas gifts, and live music! This is the perfect place to look for presents for your family, share a drink with your SO, or just get into the Christmas Spirit!

Canyon Lights at Capilano Suspension Bridge Park

Go for a beautiful and festive walk through the hundreds of thousands of lights at Capilano Suspension Bridge. Check out the world’s tallest living Christmas tree, or create your own light show!

If all of these things seems like too much of a hassle, you can always stay home with your SO. Try making a gingerbread house based off the incredible ones from the National Gingerbread Showcase (try is a keyword here), or check out this list of our favorite holiday movies you can binge watch together. Happy Holidays!

Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison
Elizabeth is an undergraduate psychology student at the University of Victoria. She is a lover of the performing arts, the Avengers, comfort food, and tall tall shoes. Hailing from Ontario, Elizabeth looks forward to soaking up the West Coast sunshine, sipping Flat Whites, and getting to know the Greater Victoria community.