10 Ways to Beat the Winter Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

It’s that time of year again. Days are shorter, the sun sets around 5pm, and midterms, papers, and projects are all piling up before the end of the semester. We’re in the final stretch of the term, and while Christmas break seems so close, there are still a ton of due dates that we still have to meet.

This time of year can be the source of a significant amount of problems for people besides just a busy school schedule. With the sun setting so early, you feel like you have less time in the day to get things done, you get tired earlier, and you may not get as much done as you would like. Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD or “Winter Blues”) results from a lack of sunlight. It’s when your brain has to work overtime to produce melatonin and is extremely prevalent, especially among girls. Studies have shown that the further away from the equator you are situated, there more likely you are to get SAD.

Think about how happy you are in the summer. Your mood seems to be lifted because the sunshine keeps your melatonin production at a normal level. Your positive mood keeps you outside in the sun, active, and happy. SAD can leave you with low energy, a down mood, depression, carb cravings, and can cause weight gain. You may have a few or all of these symptoms.

If you are dealing with SAD or just general Winter Blues it is bound to affect your schoolwork and heighten your sense of stress. Unfortunately, daylight savings time occurs right when the term quickens its pace.

I personally struggle every winter and feel as though I am not fully myself. However, until recently I didn’t know a lot about SAD, why and how it happened, and how I could treat it. Over the past few weeks as the days have gotten shorter and darker, I have noticed a change in my moods, and myself but I have also sought out to change it! Here are my ten tips for beating the Winter Blues.

1. Stay active and Outdoors

I personally hate winter. I hate the cold, I hate the snow, and I hate the wet. I always retreat inside during the cold, dark months, and never want to leave the house. I have found, however, that it is extremely important to get outside and soak up all the sunshine and daylight that you can. This will help you later on at night and leave you in a better mood. Also, staying active in the winter months is a must. Getting yourself outside to exercise or even to go for a walk may take a lot more effort than during spring or summer, but you always feel amazing afterwards. Exercise releases endorphins, reduces stress, and even improves your sleep.

2. Light Therapy

You can buy machines that mimic outdoor light to help you treat your Seasonal Affective Disorder, also known as light boxes. These light therapy machines are said to work in almost all cases of SAD and only require you to use them for 30 minutes each morning. I learned about these light boxes from a family friend who uses hers every winter and swears by it, and I am eager to get one for myself!

3. Stay healthy and take your vitamins

In the winter it is so easy to give in to all your cravings. I am constantly craving chocolate or junk food in large amounts. It is also hard to find good quality fruits and veggies in the winter, so sometimes junk food may seem like the best option. It is extremely important to stay healthy, however. Eating as many fruits and veggies as you can will help keep you feeling good and feeling healthy will improve your mood towards exercise. I have continued my summer smoothies right on into the fall and winter to give myself that boost of nutrients every morning. I also drink a lot of orange juice for Vitamin C. During my research, I found that a lot of people recommend taking Vitamin D in the winter to improve your overall mood. I personally have been taking primrose Oil for its multiple benefits.

4. Connect with Friends

It is incredibly easy to hermit in the winter. I personally don’t always feel up to braving the cold and making the bus trips, so I have found myself staying inside my house most of the time aside from going to classes. This, however, leaves you lonely. Humans are social creatures and if you struggle with Seasonal Affective Disorder or you just don’t feel like yourself in the winter it is hard to connect with friends and family. I have been making a significant effort to see the people I care about this season, especially people I haven’t seen in a while. Winter can leave you in a low mood sometimes, and you don’t always reach out to those you miss, haven’t seen in a while, or care about. I have found that even just a simple Starbucks coffee date or a few hours of catch up leave me in a much better mood and also improve my relationships.

5. Cozy up Your Surroundings

This winter I have been doing my best to make my house feel cozier. In the dorm, there were always people putting up decorations when it started to get cold and doing other things to warm up their room, and I had never tried it. This year I like to play music out loud, even when I am just cleaning up my room or putting away laundry. I like to keep lights on and snuggle up in warm blankets. I wear my fuzzy slippers, drink my favourite tea that calms me, and light my seasonal candles. I love entering my room and being hit with so many warm, familiar sights, smells, and sounds.

6. Make to-do lists/ Calendars

This is the most crucial time for effective to-do lists and calendars. During this busy time where you can’t escape midterm after midterm, paper after paper, and you are preparing for exams, it is so important to write down your lists and prioritize your time. I find that writing down my to-do lists on paper and keeping them with me are so much more effective than when I keep them on my phone and forget about them. I prepare my to do lists the night before and leave them on top of my dresser so they are one of the first things I see in the morning. To-do lists and calendars that are organized and up to date with everything should break up big projects onto several days and not leave you overwhelmed or stressed out. Just take it one day at a time.

7. Embrace the Season

As much as I hate winter and snow, I do sometimes enjoy the thought of going home to a nice warm house and watching the snow fall outside the window. I also love Christmas whether it be music, decorations, baking, or gift giving. It is important during winter when your mood is down to try and see the positive in the situation and just accept that the season is here as it always is, and that soon enough it will be gone.

8. Throw yourself into hobbies

Winter is the best time to throw yourself into your hobbies like never before, or even find new ones. This month I have finally been taking pictures again, writing, and blogging. When you are focused on and loving your hobbies they can become rewards or treats for you to do when you are done studying for the day, or when you have finished the other work you may have for school. Hobbies will keep you happy and interested in everyday life things, and give you a lot to look forward to if all you need is the sun.

9. Change things up

I have also found that it’s important during the season to change things up and treat yourself. When I am out doing something as simple as grocery shopping I like to stop on the way back and get myself my favourite drink from a coffee shop or browse a store I like, even if I don’t buy anything. Treat yourself to that new makeup product, a new pair of boots, mittens, or a scarf. Allow change during the season and give yourself more things to be excited for or to try.

10. Participate in Winter Activities

There are a lot of fun activities that you can only do in the winter or that are special to the season. Try some things you have never tried before or get a group of friends together to do all the winter activities you can! Go to an outdoor skating rink, go skiing, visit some of Victoria’s winter festivals, pick out a Christmas tree, go caroling, make gingerbread houses, decorate a tree, put up lights, go and look at Christmas light decorations, visit the “forest” of decorated trees at the Festival of Trees at the Fairmont Empress hotel downtown, or visit Craigdarroch Castle to see their Christmas decorations. 

I am a second year university student majoring in Sociology with a minor in Professional Writing. I would love to guide my Sociology major towards Global Studies and Social Change.  I love quotes, movies, travelling, and anything that gets me thinking.  "If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again." Flavia Weedn
Originally from Calgary, Alberta, Melissa Guenette currently studies business at the University of Victoria's Peter B. Gustavson School of Business. When she's not studying for midterms or finals, Melissa enjoys reading Harry Potter, being out in nature, and considers herself a connoisseur for all things dessert related. With her dry sense of humour and charismatic personality, she often leaves a room in stitches, a quality she considers beneficial while working on HerCampus' UVic Chapter. Follow her on Twitter @MelGuenette.