10 Upcoming Movies to Look Out For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

With films like Baby Driver, Dunkirk, Wonder Woman and many more, we were blessed with tons of great new movies this summer. Fortunately, it looks like they are going to keep coming! Here’s a list of 10 films that you can look forward to seeing before the end of the year.

1. September 29: Flatliners

Flatliners, directed by Niels Arden Oplev, is a sequel to the 1990 film of the same name and it looks super intense! The story follows five medical students who conduct experiments that involve near death experiences. Kiefer Sutherland, who stars in the original, returns and is joined by Ellen Page, Diego Luna, Nina Dobrev, James Norton and Kiersey Clemons. You can watch the trailer here!

2. October 6: The Mountain Between Us

Pictures of Kate Winslet and Idris Elba promoting this new film have taken over social media lately. Everyone is excited to see how the beloved actress and actor will transform into a journalist and surgeon who must survive in the wilderness after a plane crash. You can catch the trailer here!

3. November 22: Coco

This one looks like a must-see if you’re into animated films. Pixar’s Coco is inspired by the Mexican holiday, The Day of the Dead, and follows a boy and his dog on their quest to discover more about their family’s history. Take a peek at the trailer here!

4. November 10: Murder on the Orient Express

This upcoming mystery film, directed by Kenneth Branagh, is based off of the Agatha Christie novel by the same name. The cast will include favourites like Penelope Cruz, Judi Dench Willem Dafoe, Johnny Depp and Michelle Pfeiffer. This is a trailer you need to see! Watch it here.

5. November 17: Justice League

After the recent release of Wonder Woman, Warner Bros. Pictures is wasting no time in bringing us the fifth installment of the DC Extended Universe. Justice League, directed by Zac Snyder, will be set after the events of Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice. In the film, Batman (Ben Affleck) and Wonder Woman (Gal Gadot) will create an army of metahumans, including The Flash (Ezra Miller), Aquaman (Jason Mamoa) and Cyborg (Ray Fisher), to face Steppenwolfe (Ciarán Hinds). Check out the trailer here.

6. November 17: Wonder

Our favourite little Canadian actor, Jacob Tremblay, will star in what looks to be one of the years most moving films. The story, based on the children’s novel of the same name, follows a boy with facial defects as he tries to navigate school and show everyone that he is just an ordinary kid. Julia Roberts and Owen Wilson will play his parents. Watch the trailer here.

7. December 15: Star Wars: The Last Jedi

This film is guaranteed to generate attention, if only due to the fact that it is the final film appearance by the late legend, Carrie Fisher. The film is the second installment in the Star Wars sequel trilogy, and is directed by Rian Johnson. You can check out the trailer here.

8. December 20: Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle

90’s kids, this one’s for you! This sequel to the 1995 film, Jumanji, is said to be a tribute the the beloved Robin Williams (who starred in the original), and it will feature big names such as Dwayne Johnson, Jack Black and Kevin Hart. Catch the trailer here!

9. December 22: Pitch Perfect 3

They’re back pitches! It looks like the whole gang, including Anna Kendrick, Rebel Wilson, Brittany Snow, Anna Camp and Elizabeth Banks, will return for this third installation. The film will follow the now-graduated Bellas as they reunite for one last competition. Watch the trailer here!

10. December 25: The Greatest Showman

This biographical musical drama, directed by Michael Gracey, tells the story of how P.T. Barnum started the Barnum & Bailey Circus. It boasts an all-star cast, including Hugh Jackman, Zac Efron, Michelle Williams and Zendaya, and it looks incredible. You can watch the trailer here!

Happy movie watching, guys!

Sources: 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10

Jess is from Calgary, Alberta, but studies English literature and business at UVic. After her degree, she hopes to pursue a career in the Entertainment Industry. Some of her favourite things are Wes Anderson films, cute coffee mugs and costume parties. When she's not studying or writing for HC, she is usually watching movies, playing soccer or exploring Victoria! 
Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison