books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

10 Great Reading Break Reads

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

1.   A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (Literary Fiction)

If you are one of those people who cried during the climax of Titanic, this is perfect for you. The story revolves around two Afghani girls, Mariam and Laila. It is split into four parts. The first part talks about Mariam and her married life with Rasheed, her husband. Similarly, the second and fourth parts are about Laila and her love for Tariq, a boy living in neighborhood. The third part revolves around the relationship between the two women, as Laila happens to marry Rasheed, Mariam’s husband.

Photo Source

2.   The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank (Classic)

I bet everyone reading this article has heard of this book. If you haven’t read it yet, just grab this book from your library and read it. It is a highly inspiring book, based on a true story, written by a 15-Year old about her life during World War II.

3.   The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown (Thriller)

Although you must have read books by Dan Brown at some point in your life, I just had to include him in the list. He is my favorite author of the millennium. Not just Lost Symbol, but all of his books are based on real history with a fictional twist. Lost Symbol is a perfect mixture of thriller, mystery, and adventure. It is one of the books I highly recommend reading.

4.   Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind (Non-Fiction)

Moving away from fiction, this book drives you into the complicated history of Homo sapiens. Right from the evolution of humans to different ‘breeds’ of sapiens to present, this book covers almost everything about humankind. Since it’s a non-fiction book, you can skip pages, too!                           

Photo Source

5.   Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher (Young- Adult Fiction)

I have heard quite a few good reviews about this book from my friends. The book revolves around a girl named Hannah who has recorded tapes on thirteen reasons why she committed suicide.

6.   Divergent (Science Fiction)

Even if you are not someone who like Sci-fi, you should try this one! Also a best seller, Divergent has a unique plot. Beatrice lives in a world where society is divided into five sections. However, she doesn’t fit in any of these and finds herself to be Divergent. She must conceal her identity as people she loves are threatened.

Photo Source

7.   Bankerupt (Thriller)

Bankerupt is a great thriller involving an MIT Professor and his banker husband. I bet most of you haven’t heard of Ravi Subhramaniam before, but if you wish to read something other than American or Canadian authors, this book would be a great start!

8.   The Devil wears Prada (Chick Lit)

The Devil Wears Prada is one of those light books to read on Sunday mornings. If you are a fashion blogger or doing something related to fashion, it’s a great book for recreation. Andrea Sachs, a recent college graduate, works for Runway Magazine under Miranda Priestly, a diabolical boss. The story revolves around her journey through the torturous job.

Photo Source

9.   The Fountain Head – Ayn Rand (Fiction)

Howard Roark, a young architect, is expelled from the academy for presenting revolutionary ideas that don’t suit the taste of his history-obsessed professors. One of the classics of the modern era, The Fountain Head is a must-read.

10.        The Handmaid’s Tail by Margaret Atwood (Science Fiction)

This piece of sci-fi touches upon low reproduction rates in The United States of America. Handmaids are responsible to bear children for couples who have hard time conceiving them.

Photo Source

Aashi, originally from New Delhi, India,  is in her fifth year at the University of Victoria pursuing economics. She likes to travel, explore new places and would be down for a road trip at any point in time. She also loves to experiment with fashion.
Elizabeth is an undergraduate psychology student at the University of Victoria. She is a lover of the performing arts, the Avengers, comfort food, and tall tall shoes. Hailing from Ontario, Elizabeth looks forward to soaking up the West Coast sunshine, sipping Flat Whites, and getting to know the Greater Victoria community.