nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Clues I’ve Been to Boarding School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Hi, I’m Carly, and I had the privilege of going to boarding school from grades 10 through 12. While I don’t often bring up boarding school as a topic in conversation, I do give away clues about my schooling experience. Here are 10 ways you can tell I’ve been to boarding school.

1. I know how to tie a tie … like, REALLY well.

2. I’m never homesick, because that was sooooo five years ago.

3. I have a kit to polish my shoes.

4. Every Friday, I find myself frantically vacuuming, sweeping and dusting my room for “inspection.”

5. I play all of the typical “boarding school sports”: field hockey, tennis, etc.

6. I NEVER wear skirts, because that’s all I wore every day for THREE WHOLE YEARS.

7. I only wear stud earrings, because I still assume someone’s going to call me out for wearing hoops.

8. … and on that note, I’ve never dyed my hair.

9. I’m super anti-PDA because it was a big no-no at school.

10. And lastly, I’m never surprised by pranks because I’ve done them all.

Did you go to boarding school? What weird habits did you pick up? 

Carly Grabher is in her fifth year of Creative Writing at The University of Victoria with a minor in Gender Studies. She is the Campus Correspondent of the UVic chapter and has been a contributing writer and editor with Her Campus for four years. In addition to writing articles, Carly formerly danced and worked at Canada's National Ballet School, redesigned the website for The University of Victoria Faculty Association, and worked as the communications and events assistant with UVic's Co-operative Education Program and Career Services.
Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison