This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Edited by Olivia Spahn-Vieira

This school year will be different for everyone as we all transition from sitting and learning in a lecture hall to sitting at home online watching lectures on zoom. For me personally, this is my very first time partaking in online classes and I realized while being at home much more often than before, that I wanted to find ways to make this type of learning as fun and as easy as possible. 

In University, it is very easy to get extremely stressed out and so caught up in the workload, (even with online courses), that you forget to treat yourself once in a while. It may seem impossible to get everything done, and you may find yourself avoiding your responsibilities. This is why I am going to share some tips for managing online classes, and the ways I am working to find enjoyment in my remote university experience. These three aspects of my year at home,  comfy fashion, reliable technology and ways that I treat myself while working online. 

1. Dressing Cute and Comfortable 

With classes being online it no longer feels necessary to dress in your best pair of jeans and your shiniest blouse to attend a class. Instead, you now have the wonderful opportunity to dress in something more casual, such as some sweatpants and a matching hoodie. While dressing this comfortably it is also very easy to keep up with the latest fashion trends, such as wearing some cute animal prints and tye-dye. What’s even better is that you can find all of these styles and trends at so many different stores, and at many different prices. You can easily pick what is best for you. I personally have been finding some great items at mainstream stores such as Aritizia, Garage, and Urban Outfitters, that are all perfect for sitting at your desk or on your bed while watching a zoom lecture. Who says that you can’t look good while staying comfortable? 

2. Easy and Reliable Technology and Note-taking apps

Although our generation is known as being tech-savvy, I can say that I am the opposite. I am not one who pays much attention to all the little details and crazy software that goes into my devices. Instead, I choose my devices for practicality and easy, every day use. This philosophy has affected the way I’ve gone about online classes this year. I personally use a Mac Book Air 13 inch for accessing all of my lectures and for taking notes, as the screen large and high quality. As well, Macs have always been known for being easy to use, which is perfect for someone like myself. The other device that I use this year is an iPad with an apple pencil. I have found it to be particularly handy for doing readings online. On the iPad, I have found that it is very easy to download readings, zoom in or out easily, and highlight important terms with the pencil. Luckily, in this day and age, there are so many types of computers and tablets on the market, that with a little bit of research, you can find exactly what works for your academic needs. While using this technology, my favorite note-taking app has become Microsoft OneNote. This is because it is so simple to organize and divide all of your notes by class. It also syncs up on all your devices, so that you can read your notes from anywhere. With classes all online, I think we can all agree that the devices you use will make or break your experience. 

3. Don’t Forget to Treat Yourself! 

Just because classes online does not mean that you don’t deserve a break and to have a little fun once in a while. Remember, you are still working just as hard! In the end, we are all human and it is not good for anyone’s mental health to work themselves too much. I like to treat myself while working online by going to my favorite local coffee shops to pick up a perfect latte. Taking time to meet up with or call a friend is also such a good break. These moments of self-care can give you the push you need to get through studying later, without as much burnout. During lectures, you can cozy up with your go-to drink or snack beside you. Since we are all at home, you can also blast some calming music while you’re studying. 

In life, you realize that it is the little things that make all the difference. This is why treating yourself is a necessity. These essentials have made it easier for me to “zoom” into the new school year, with less stress. Though they seem simple, they have provided me with a more positive mindset about handling a university workload that is fully online. Hopefully, this will inspire you to find your essentials for the new school year, to make it the best it can be!

Zoë Grossman

U Toronto '22

Zoë is a fourth-year student majoring in Political Science and Sociology. With a huge passion for world events and culture, Zoë is excited to share her ideas and thoughts with a new audience. In her free time, you can catch her listening to music, spending time on Netflix, and at a local coffee shop.