photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

Why You Should Volunteer More This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Edited by Avleen Grewal

One of my resolutions for 2019 was to volunteer more in my community and to help those that are in need. Often, we get so focused and caught up with school that we forget that helping others is also important. By helping others, we become more selfless, which is such an important quality to have in today’s society. To hopefully inspire you with volunteering, I decided to interview my friend Raquel, who is one of the most passionate volunteers I’ve met.

Raquel is a first-year student at the University of Toronto. She is a 2018 Pearson Scholar and is the first Ecuadorian recipient for this scholarship. Within the next few years, she hopes to complete a double major in International Relations and Political Science, minoring in Latin American studies. After university, she aspires to work with international organizations or the government so that she can help improve the lives of everyday citizens.

Question #1: What is your experience with volunteering in Ecuador?

“For over four years, I volunteered at Operation Smile Ecuador. This is a non-profit organization that provides hundreds of free surgeries for children and young adults in developing countries who suffer from cleft lip and cleft palate, among other malformations. I was a part of their missions. What this means is that before the surgeries, I was with the kids, playing with them and giving them moral support. I also helped after the surgeries in the recuperation process of the patients. In addition, I was part of the executive team for the Operation Smile club during my senior year. We trained with other volunteers and organized events and fundraisers to raise money for these operations.”

Question #2: Why do you value volunteering so much and what motivates you to do it?

“We have to be grateful for what we have in life and realize that a lot of people don’t have the same resources and opportunities that many of us are blessed with. There are so many people that are facing hardships in life and can’t even afford the basic necessities we often take for granted. We should use and give our knowledge, experience, and positive attitude to help others to better their life.”

Question #3: What is your vision for the future? For society and you personally?

“In Toronto, people have a lot of resources. I hope that Ecuador will gain more resources to help educate and better the well-being of its citizens. I want to gain as much experience and knowledge as possible in Canada and then apply it back to my community in Ecuador.”

Question #4: What have you learned from volunteering?

“We always have to be respectful of others because we don’t know what they’re going through. Being financially privileged doesn’t mean that you are better than others and you should always treat everyone equally. Through volunteering, I’ve also realized that many people are joyful and happy despite their suffering – I really admire that. Lastly, you have a choice on whether or not to help others, so remember that your decision will affect the lives of others.”

Question #5: What is some advice you would give someone who wants to be more involved in volunteering and helping others?

“Seeing those who are disadvantaged and suffering is not going to be easy. But remember that through volunteering you will learn so many important life lessons and develop new character qualities. You will be positively impacted and influenced by the people you meet, which will inspire you and change your mindset on life. Be open-minded with how you’re volunteering and be prepared to put in your full effort through sharing your knowledge and skills. Lastly, enjoy!”

Victoria Shi

U Toronto '22

Victoria is a first-year humanities student at the University of Toronto. She loves exploring different cultures through travel, is an avid photographer, and loves to engage in philanthropy.