Why Black Panther is More Than Just Another Superhero Movie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Edited By: Joy Jiang and Naomi Litwack 

The 2018 movie year has teased many promising blockbuster hits, but Marvel Studios’ Black Panther was by far one of the most anticipated films and it blew our expectations out of the water. The film has already reeled in 230 million dollars in box office sales and is now the second highest grossing Marvel film of all time. Black Panther deserves all the accolades it has received, as it brings refreshing themes to the big screen and the Marvel Universe. Here are 5 ways Black Panther Breaks the superhero movie formula.

1. It’s Not Eurocentric 

Black Panther is one of the only Marvel not set in North America or Europe. It is set in the fictional nation of Wakanda in Africa, a society whose technology is superior to that of Western societies. Wakanda exists independently of all Western nations, as it produces all of its own technology and doesn’t participate in foreign trade or affairs. It masks its greatness with a front of poverty typically associated with African Nations to prevent the repeat of Africa’s history of colonization for resources and enslavement. It also features an all-black cast, with only two non-black characters, neither of whom are portrayed as the white savior.

2.  It Encompasses African History and Present Day Systemic Racism

Black Panther isn’t the first Marvel movie to encompass historically correct world events (such as Captain America: The First Avenger which shows the second World War and talks about Hitler’s grip on Europe). However, Black Panther showcases both the past historical event of the Slave Trade and present-day forms of oppression such as police brutality and mass incarceration. Through its fictional storyline, the film speaks of the prominence of these forms of oppression, and their effect on modern-day North America, helping to educate viewers outside of an academic setting.

3. It Portrays Women Positively and Awesomely!

Everyone who has seen the film can agree that the female characters are absolutely badass and powerful. In many superhero movies, the female characters are great fighters, but they are often the less prominent sidekick or the sexualized love interests of the male protagonist. The female characters of Nakita and Okoye were warriors who demonstrate amazing combat technique and are given opportunities to showcase their assertiveness without being stereotypically portrayed as angry. Shuri (Black Panther’s younger sister) is responsible for the development of all advanced technology present in Wakanda, bringing a refreshing change to the usual “white male tech genius” archetype.

4. It has a high amount of character development 

With many superhero movies, the character development of protagonists and supporting roles are weak. We’re usually given limited information about their upbringing, rise to power, and their psychological development. Black Panther shifts that mold. The film showcases the transition of power of the Black Panther, the development of T’Challa’s fighting abilities, and the evolution of the villain from youth to adulthood. This gives the film a layer of depth along with its action scenes that most superhero movies lack.

5. It Strays Away from the usual Stereotypes

One of my favorite things about Black Panther is the director’s and writer’s conscious decision to not portray African Americans in the usual stereotypical ways they are portrayed, such as the prisoner, the drug addict, the poor inner-city dweller, the loud best friend, or the maid. The film portrays black excellence in a genre enjoyed by many different age and racial demographics, helping to break down these unconsciously held stereotypes partially derived from negative media portrayals.

Image 1 / Image 2 / Image 3 / Image 4 / Image 5

(Hons) BA Candidate at the University of Toronto. Olivia is a well-versed content writer having written and edited for Her Campus U Toronto for three years and now serves as the Managing Editor. Olivia is currently working as the Content Manager for Enso Connect and as a social science research contributor at U of T. In her spare time, Olivia competes and trains for long-distance road races with local run clubs in Toronto.