What I Love About #AerieReal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

We all know that most advertisements are Photoshopped and most models don’t actually have flawless skin or perfectly flat stomachs in real life. Yet, the way celebrities and models are presented in photoshoots and ads can be incredibly misleading. 

Luckily, some brands are working to challenge these unrealistic beauty standards. In September 2014, Aerie launched their “Aerie Real” campaign, which meant they were going to stop digitally retouching and Photoshopping their models, in an effort to promote positive self-image and body positivity among women. On their Instagram page, Aerie describes #AerieREAL as being about “body positivity, empowerment & loving your real self.” Not only are Aerie’s models unretouched, but they also have a diverse range of body types. When you look at Aerie’s online website, you can see their clothing modelled on women of all different body types. For instance, you can see the way each of their bathing suit bottoms actually look on women of each size– this is something that I have never seen on any other retailer’s website. To see a fashion brand promote such a progressive concept, and to show women that it’s perfectly okay (and normal!) to have stretch marks, thighs that touch, or a stomach that isn’t flat, is really awesome. 

I love this campaign so much, and I think it can help make girls and women feel more confident and comfortable with their bodies. In a world that unfortunately is flooded with magazine covers promising to reveal “How to Get the Perfect Bikini Body”, I applaud Aerie for challenging these standards. Also, in case you were wondering, this is how to get a bikini body: 1) Put a bikini on your body. That’s literally it! There is no “right” way to look in a bikini, and I think it’s great that Aerie is showing this.

This is especially important considering that Aerie’s target market consists largely of young girls and women. Aerie has also partnered with NEDA (National Eating Disorders Association), and are now the lead sponsor of NEDA Walk, which is a walk that raises awareness about eating disorders. Lynne Grefe, the president and CEO of NEDA, has praised the Aerie Real campaign, saying, “We know that over-the-top ads promoting extreme thinness and non-stop diet promises send a message to teens and young adults suggesting that they are not good enough –  translation: not thin enough –  and sadly fuels the fire of low self-esteem. Research has shown that low self-esteem is a serious precursor to unhealthy eating behaviors and eating disorders.” 

Eating disorders are unfortunately incredibly common among young women, and unrealistic images in advertisements can have dangerous effects on a young woman’s self-esteem. According to this study, 80% of women say that the images of women on television and in movies, fashion magazines, and advertising makes them feel insecure. By showing women of different sizes in their marketing and advertising campaigns, Aerie is fighting to change these statistics.

While there is definitely still lots of room for Aerie’s advertisements to be more diverse and inclusive of all women, the Aerie Real campaign is a major step in the right direction. I hope Aerie continues to work on ways to improve, and I hope that more brands begin to follow Aerie’s lead.