Victoria University Student’s Administrative Council Member At Large Christian Julien

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

If you’re a Victoria student, spend a lot of time at the Vic campus, or actually just spend a lot of time at UofT, the face of Christian Julien is probably a familiar one. He’s a member-at-large on VUSAC (Victoria College Student Administrative Council), as well as an executive member of the Victoria Off-Campus Association. In the past, he was also an executive of the West Indian Student’s Association and an Orientation Leader at Vic. He’s been encouraged to run for UTSU recently, and when asked about it, cheekily says, “You never know”, which could quite possibly be his words to live by.

Christian credits much of his involvement as an effort to make friends, which could explain why he sees his primary role as a social one: getting people involved. “In a school as alienating as UofT, a little friendliness goes a long way. There is no shortage of events at our school, and no shortage of amazing people to fill them. The challenge is getting the people to the event.” This is a challenge Christian takes on with seeming ease, reaching out to his vast network of friends and classmates, and making sure everyone has fun!

Photo courtesy of Adam Zivo.

The outgoing Philosophy student is a fixture at campus events, which he credits to how he became so involved. “I frequently get involved with stuff by accident because I spend a fair bit of time on campus. I found that once I went to a few events, I began meeting people who introduced me to different clubs and other people, which allowed me to meet more people, and so on!” But Frosh week is how it all started for the second-year student. “When I first got here I took a risk by being really outgoing during Frosh week, and it stuck.”

Christian has a few suggestions for other UofT students, as well. “For example, if I attempt to make conversation with a person, and they ignore me – who cares! It’s their loss. I see no reason to let that stop anyone from trying to be friendly . . . the next time you’re waiting in a lecture hall for a class to start, try smiling at and talking to the person next to you. You have absolutely nothing to lose.”

One of Christian’s best qualities, and how he came to be so widely known on campus, is his love of talking. “I love to talk…I’m Trinidadian, it’s in my blood!” Want to start a conversation with him? Just hang around Vic long enough and you’re sure to find him, or else on Wednesday mornings, 11-1, at the weekly pancake brunch in Birge-Carnegie, all are welcome! Not sure what to talk about? Aside from the UofT question (“What are you studying?”) try asking about Bollywood movies, Metallica, chocolate, or his love of Hermione Granger!

As for once school is over, Christian plans on keeping his options wide open: “Before graduation I’d like to apply to a bunch of grad schools and jobs. Throw a wide net and see what I catch. Maybe, I will get lucky and find my true calling in the next few years. For now I just want to keep my options open.”

Natalie has recently completed her second year at the University of Toronto with a double major in History and Ethics, Society, and Law. She is excited to bring Her Campus to U of T and seeing it expand its presence in Canada. She is also active in the school's Model United Nations circles and numerous organizations off campus and is best described as a political and pop culture junkie. Born and raised in Toronto, she is blindingly proud of everything the city has to offer including the best school in the country, no matter what Macleans says, and its sports teams, no matter how many times they may lose or miss the playoffs.