UToronto Alumni Series: David Shore

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

David Shore is a London, Ontario native, writer, and former lawyer all in one. This notable almuni is most well known for this screenwriting work on Family Law, NYPD Blue, Due South, and House. This small town man was the only one out of his two younger brothers involved in the TV biz; what a local celebrity he must be when he visits home!

Shore attended the University of Western Ontario for his undergrad but later in 1982, moved on to the University of Toronto for his law degree. He worked as a lawyer for a few years before moving to LA to find that big break in Hollywood. He didn’t find this to be a step down or up from his career though because he believed working in law embarked on his creative side too. 

He enjoyed his work on the popular show NYPD Blue where the series won not one but two Emmy Awards. His most note-worthy work on House began when producer Paul Attanasio approached him for a new idea following the success of Law & Order and CSI about a show between a police and medical drama. Shore decided that this show should have a hero similar to Sherlock Holmes to follow the investigative theme, thus Dr. Gregory House was born. Fox picked up the show and after the first season, it was their biggest hit for 2004-2005. Shore co-wrote five episodes of the season including the pilot and the pre-finale, and his work was recognized as he won the 2005 Emmy for Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series. He continued to write for the show for seven seasons. 

We’re proud of you David, as a U of T alumni to make it on to the big screen! 

Sources:

http://news.yorku.ca/files/Dav…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D…

Vanessa is a third year student at the University of Toronto. She is majoring in Employment Relations with double minors in Sociology and Human Geography. She is excited to start the Fall 2012 year as the new Campus Correspondent after a year of being a contributing writer for the Chapter. She will be studying abroad at the University of Oxford during the summer of 2012, hoping to come back with many experiences to write about. Aside from her studies and Her Campus responsibilities, Vanessa has a great appreciation for style, health and fitness, travel, and the finest dining experiences Toronto has to offer.