This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Edited by: Jina Aryaan

Here are some tricks and remedies to treat the cold, sore throat and all other consequences and symptoms that make you feel like you are dying. Cheers!

Take a Hot Shower

The steam from a hot shower or hot bath helps with the congestion by moisturizing your nasal passages. 

Steam Yo’self

Take Vicks vaporub, add some of vaporub to a bowl of hot or boiling water, cover yourself with a light blanket or your (preferably clean) towel. Then steam the congestion from your nose. The menthol and camphor in Vicks helps clearing the airways.

Get Out of Your Bed

While bed rest is important, especially when your cold consists of headaches and a congested sinus, getting out of your bed and breathing in some fresh air is also needed. During the winter, dress yourself in a couple layers and go out for some minutes, or at least get out of your room, walk inside your house and be a human burrito on the couch.

Moisturize Your Room

The way you need to treat your body, you need to moisten the air around you too. Using a cool mist vaporizer or humidifier can help, but make sure you read the instructions before using the products.

Gargle

Add a pinch of salt to warm water and gargle at least twice daily. You can even add one tablespoon of lemon juice in two cups of hot water, and then add one teaspoon of honey. Before gargling, make sure your concoction is cool and won’t burn your mouth or throat.

Hot/Cold Packs

Use either hot or cold packs according to your needs. For DIY, dip a piece of fabric in hot water, squeeze excess water and put it on your forehead or affected areas. For a cold pack, you can use a bag of frozen peas, but don’t use the bag immediately after taking it out of the freezer––you may hurt yourself.

Stay Hydrated.

For staying hydrated, here is a short list of some syrups you can prepare in no time and even fill them in bottles to be taken during your class.

• Tea- bot sage tea and ginger tea infused with lemon helps fighting bacteria. Sage is also said to soothe throat inflammation.

Check out the recipe here.

Check out the recipe here.

Herbal Concoctions

Infusing various herbs and fruits together helps relieve sore throats and colds.

Lemon, ginger and honey elixir

Check out the recipe here.

Clementine-creamsicle smoothie

Check out the recipe here.

Sweetened apple cider vinegar

Check out the recipe here.

Turmeric milk, ginger and cardamom potion

Check out the recipe here.

Lemon, rosemary honey syrup

Check out the recipe here.

Orange rosemary spritz cocktail

Check out the recipe here.

Eat Healthy

Don’t binge eat or eat nothing at all. It is important you feed proper nutrients to your body, but make sure you eat according to your appetite. Here are some healthy snacks/desserts that will rejuvenate your body with their healing properties and taste.

Soups

Soups are healthy, tasty, sinus-clearing recipes.

Chicken noodle soup

Get the recipe here.

Asian Noodle Soup (Vegan)

Check out the recipe here.

Côte d’Azur Cure-All Soup

Check out the recipe here.

Clove garlic soup

Check out the recipe here.

“Fully Loaded Misc” Immunity Boosting Soup (Vegan)

Check out the recipe here.

Avleen is a recent graduate from the University of Toronto, finishing her Double Major in English, and Professional Writing and Communication with a Minor in History. She was an editor with UTM Scribes, contributor to The Medium newspaper, maintained a WordPress research blog, and has been part of the Her Campus community since 2017. Check out more of Avleen's content on her WordPress blog http://loveandthelaws.wordpress.com