Top Ten Reasons Why UofT Is The Greatest University On Earth

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Why is UofT one of the greatest places on Earth?

“The combination of a top-notch education provided at the University of Toronto and the unique environments that the great city of Toronto makes it so.” While admission packets, tour guides, current students, and alumnus spit out this same exact reason to people when asked this question, there’s an actual truth to it. The University of Toronto gives you the chance to explore yourself and helps you to figure out new things about yourself while at the same time, giving you an education that will actually get you prepared for life after university. In the end, this great university provides you with so much more than a mere piece of paper on graduation day.

So what is it that makes UofT the best?

1. It is the best university in Canada, according to Times Higher Education, and has been ranked the 19th best university in the world. Now that’s quite an achievement! Who wouldn’t be proud to go such a renowned post-secondary institution?
  2. The location! Living in Toronto while going to UofT will provide you with countless opportunities as there are so many companies based here. All seriousness aside, there’s also plenty of places for you to let your hair down. Downtown Toronto is filled with hundreds of restaurants, bars, jazz clubs, theaters, nightclubs. The place is as bustling at night as it is during the day.
  3. All the classes are housed on a beautiful, sprawling campus smack in the middle of downtown. It’s serene, it’s park-like, and some of the buildings have museum-quality settings: like Old Vic, UC Courtyard, and Knox College.
     Photo via BlogTo
  4. TIFF happens right nearby. Each year celebrities from all walks of life come to the Toronto International Film Festival, an eleven day long film festival held right here in Toronto. Some of the TIFF movies are actually screened right on campus! At Isabel Bader Theatre at Vic! Not only that, but who knows who you’ll see? You might catch a glimpse of your fave celebrity. To date, friends of mine have spotted Megan Fox, Brangelina, as well as George Clooney just to name a few.
  5. The endless amounts of research opportunities and the fact that it is such a major research university. There is almost ALWAYS some great research going on at all times and in your 2nd or 4th year, students actually get the chance to partake in research with the professors. [299 and 499 courses]
  6. Whether you are science-oriented or lean towards the humanities, the professors you will meet here are THE best in their respective fields, and this is no exaggeration. In addition to that, they are such interesting individuals to get to know! My Enigmatology [study of enigmas and puzzles] professor, an expert in his field, makes puzzles for the Star on a weekly basis, had his quote published on the front page of the New York Times, AND is in a band who just recently started selling their album and songs on iTunes. If that’s not awesome, then I don’t know what is.
  7. We discovered insulin, we built the first practical electron microscope, and we developed the multi-touch technology now used in tablets and smart phones everywhere. The list goes on and on. Fun fact: If you want to view the electron microscope, head over to Old Vic 3rd floor. They have a mini-museum set up there!
  8. There are SO many places to eat around! Greek, Italian, Mediterranean, Asian, you name it. It’s all there. Not to mention the number of pubs and bars situated here and there. Best of all, most of them are just a short walk [or maybe a short subway ride] away!
  9. The residential college system. Because of the sheer size of this large university, the residential college system proves to be a welcome respite, providing small, close-knit communities for students. The “friendly” jabbing and rivalry that arises during frosh week, intramurals sport games, or any other event which pits the various colleges against each other is definitely an experience every undergrad should undergo.
  10. Robarts. More formally known as John P. Robarts Research Library, this library happens to be the biggest library in UofT and is also included in the top 5 biggest libraries in North America! The architecture of the library itself is very brutalist, and is said to resemble a peacock, although, from a certain angle, it looks more like a turkey. It’s a great place to go when you need some quiet time to study since the higher you go, the quieter it gets. Plus, the view from the 13th floor is astounding! Fun fact: In Resident Evil: Afterlife, the outside of Robarts was used for the prison setting. 

And there you have it! The top 10 reasons why U of T is the best university in the world. Why do you think U of T is the best university in the world? Let us know in the comments! 

Natalie has recently completed her second year at the University of Toronto with a double major in History and Ethics, Society, and Law. She is excited to bring Her Campus to U of T and seeing it expand its presence in Canada. She is also active in the school's Model United Nations circles and numerous organizations off campus and is best described as a political and pop culture junkie. Born and raised in Toronto, she is blindingly proud of everything the city has to offer including the best school in the country, no matter what Macleans says, and its sports teams, no matter how many times they may lose or miss the playoffs.