Top 6 Things to Do Before You Graduate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

For those students who are graduating this year (myself included), this upcoming semester is bound to be a bittersweet one. The end of any undergraduate career can be a stressful time for many, but it can also offer new and exciting opportunities. Before you head onto this next chapter, why not make the most of your last semester here by crossing a few things off your “U of T bucket list”?

1. Enjoy a performance at the Faculty of Music: as part of an opera course I took last semester, I had the chance to see a production of Menotti’s “The Telephone/The Medium.” I was blown away by the amount of talent onstageand student tickets were only $10! If opera isn’t your cup of tea, the Faculty also hosts piano, violin, and voice recitals. Another thing, these events are usually free.

2. Stroll along Philosopher’s Walk: this pathway acts as a kind of oasis within the busy, bustling downtown campus. Take some time in between classes to recharge and reconnect. 

3. Stop by for a light lunch at L’Espresso Bar Mercurio: this is a great spot for hanging out with friends and watching the world go by. The café offers delicious and healthy European-style cuisine, including paninis, wraps, chickpea burgers, and salads. There is also a student discount!

4. Explore the “old-world” architecture on campus: from Knox College to Hart House Library, U of T has a number of architectural gems that are worth checking out. Take a step back in time and imagine what it might have been like to be a student here 100+ years ago.

5. Check out some REALLY OLD books: speaking of stepping back in time, another great destination is the Thomas Fisher Rare Book Library, which showcases manuscripts from the medieval period up until the modern era. The library’s current exhibition is “A Celebration of Shakespeare’s Life and Works,” which aims to highlight the impact that Shakespeare had on the literary world. 

6. Organize a flash mob in Con Hall: … Okay, maybe not, but that would be pretty epic.

Best of luck with the final semester! We’re almost there!

Lauren Pare is a fourth-year English specialist at the University of Toronto. When she is not reading Shakespeare or modern poetry for school, she enjoys writing, painting, yoga, and green tea.