This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Edited by Olivia Spahn-Vieira    

We are officially knee deep into the midterm season, in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic. For many of us, it is a struggle to remain afloat. Whether it is the overwhelming demands of part-time jobs, volunteering opportunities, internships, or student unions, along with heavy course work, most of us tend to take on more than we can handle. It starts with one all-nighter, followed by another, until the exhaustion takes a toll on our bodies and we can barely form coherent sentences. Our ambitions drive us to do better and work harder, but where is the line drawn to stop and re-asses our hectic schedules? 

For most of us, it is often after our bodies give up on us, when coffee can no longer act as the panacea to our burnout. This article offers alternative ways to view self-care when experiencing a burnout. It attempts to dig deeper into burnout, to provide students and working professionals with a guide to identifying boundaries, and preserving your mental health and emotional threshold.

Be clear and honest about your capacities.

Although meeting virtually has allowed us to avoid long transit wait times and walking distances between appointments and classes, moving from one zoom meeting to another is still emotionally and mentally draining. When planning your week, make sure to schedule some breathing time in between appointments and calls, and inform employers or peers about your capacity to submit tasks. You can do this by suggesting realistic standards and deadlines for your work. When in doubt, be extremely transparent about your limits, and try to not leave any room for confusion. 

Practice saying no.

This may seem like an easy response to issues, but for many of us it can be painfully difficult. Saying no to side opportunities, projects, and jobs that will add burdens to your life can be one of the best gifts you can give yourself. Once you start, it can provide you with the space to spend time working on projects that you are truly passionate about, rather than projects that you agreed to do out of personal guilt or a fear of saying no. Try to stop yourself from taking on more applications than you can handle. Informing your friends about this goal can be very helpful in making sure you stick to it. Remind yourself that you have time to work on the things you are passionate about, but that working on all of them at the same time can be too taxing on your mental health. 

Schedule breaks, even when you do not think you need them. 

Using Google Calendar to track your zoom calls can be great, but it is also important to apply that same logic to self-care, and quality time with friends and family. You may be able to avoid burnout if you commit to self-care as much as you commit to the other parts of your life. This looks different for everyone; some choose to turn their phones off after a certain time, while others choose to give themselves a day off during the weekend to catch up with friends and family. Whatever suits you, make sure that you schedule it in advance to give yourself something to look forward to after a long week of assignments and midterms. Making time to check in with friends and family can be extremely valuable amidst what sometimes can feel like a chaotic time.

Set boundaries with others.

This cardinal rule is often the hardest to stick to, but is nonetheless essential to prioritizing your own well-being. The people you choose to be in your life should be encouraging you and giving helpful advice, rather than bringing you down and making you feel bad about yourself and the time spent with them. Set boundaries with yourself and others to avoid being taken advantage of, or overworked in any way. During busy periods, try to surround yourself with positive individuals that care about your wellbeing and push you to not only work on yourself professionally, but also personally and emotionally. Set boundaries with those that make you think twice about your own confidence and self-esteem. Remind yourself that you are a product of self-dialogue and self-worth; these are not only important tenants to self-care, but are also crucial to personal character development.

Keep moving.

This may seem intuitive for a lot of us, but since quarantine began, it has become increasingly difficult to leave our rooms and desks to take a break outside. Physically moving your body not only keeps you awake and lively, it also alleviates some of the stiffness that many of us struggle with, sitting on chairs all day. Try to make it a habit to change your scenery and take your eyes off the screen for a while. A great motivator for me has been listening to some of my favorite albums from the very beginning to the very end, to encourage myself to keep going, and have a little dance session in the process. Spending that one hour with yourself or with friends can be a great way to fuel yourself for the rest of the day.  

I hope this list provided you with some steps to help you overcome burnout. It can be an incredibly isolating time, so as well as checking in with yourself, make sure to check in with the people around you, who may be experiencing similar struggles. Self-care does not always have to just be about Lush bath bombs and cinnamon tea, (although I love both!) it can also be much deeper than that. Remember that this stress right now is temporary, and your health is always more important than excessive productivity.

Janine is a fourth year student studying Political Science and Diaspora and Transnational Studies at the University of Toronto originally from Amman, Jordan. She is passionate about journalism, immigration policy, and spoken word.