This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Edited By: Tanmaya Ramprasad

During the summer of 2021, as soon as I could, I left home to travel and escape the lockdowns of Ontario. I started with domestic travel and visited the west coast, and shortly after, I left the country for a couple months. And let me tell you, travelling, was one of the many things that the pandemic changed immensely. Flying, and going on a trip has always been somewhat of a chaotic, and exciting experience. Making sure you get to the airport on-time, confirming that your baggage is within the weight requirement, double checking that you did not forget your passport at home! However, with COVID-19 being a global concern, there are several added aspects of your trip that need to be planned and thought through before you leave home, because leaving them to the last minute, will cost you your vacation. 

Here are some of my travel tips that I have found to be useful following the height of the pandemic. 

1. Do Your Research

This step may be the most important because if you forget to fill out an application to travel to your destination, you may not be able to get on the plane. Of course it depends on where you intend to go, but be sure to check out the countries website beforehand as many destinations require travellers to fill out an application and pay a fee before visiting. Along with applications, be sure to research the testing requirements of your destination. Some locations require PCR tests and others only ask for a Rapid Antigen Test. Furthermore, be sure you have printed documentation of your application, vaccination, and negative tests results readily available. 

2. Pack Your PPE 

So far, I have found that Air Canada is one of the better airlines when it comes to providing its customers with COVID-19 cleaning kits and extra essentials. They provide you with some wipes, a few packs of hand sanitizer and an extra mask, but not every airline does this.Therefore, I have become accustomed to packing in a ziplock or in a easy to reach spot in your carry-on, an extra mask or two, hand sanitizer, wipes, and anything else you may want to use. Further, make sure you have extra masks and supplies for the extent of your trip. You do not want to be spending time looking for a box of masks on a tropical island when you could be having fun! 

3. Plan Your Return 

Currently, because of the state we are slowly but surely exiting, planning your trip home is important. Travelling home should be part of your initial research and not left to the last minute because testing requirements for returning home will likely be required. Often countries like Canada and the USA will ask for you to get tested within 72 hours of your trip home and you want to make sure you are following these requests to make your trip home smooth. Again, here is when it may be a good idea to have a print out copy of your negative test result or at least a saved photo on your phone. 

4. Travel Insurance 

When purchasing and even looking for travel medical insurance, make sure you confirm that COVID-19 is covered under that insurance plan. This is important for the obvious reason that you do not want to pay medical fees incase you need to go to the hospital as a result of COVID-19 during your trip. Since the pandemic, not all insurance companies include COVID-19 in their plans, and thus, it is important that you confirm that COVID-19 is included. 

5. Stay Safe, But have fun! 

We are coming out of a global pandemic. It is very important to stay safe, and follow the precautions that are in place for the health of ourselves and others. However, that being said, it has been a long (almost) two years of dealing with COVID-19, and it is important to have fun! While on your trip, enjoy the food, your surroundings and the opportunity we have to travel again. Try not to think of wearing a mask and sanitizing as an inconvenience but just the way it is. We are all currently learning how to live with covid, and as things continue to get better, we should start to see things return to normal. 

Laura Sweet

U Toronto '22

Laura is a third-year Bioethics student at the University of Toronto St. George. She is interested in law and hopes to one day pursue a career in this field. Laura enjoys skiing, playing the piano, reading and spending time on the East Coast.