palace theatre signage 3004075?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
palace theatre signage 3004075?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Felicity Warner / HCM
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

A few weeks ago, I had the opportunity to attend the Toronto International Film Festival’s Next Wave event. The Next Wave film festival began in 2010 and consists of 12 students who range between the ages of 15 and 18. This festival is also free to anyone under 25 – which I have to admit, got me hooked. The Next Wave film festival offers a huge array of incredible films and my biggest struggle this year was picking one to watch.

After a lot of research and watching trailers, I finally settled on Papicha, directed by Mounia Meddour. Papicha, based on true events, is a film about a university student who is passionate about holding a fashion show in Algeria during the late 90s. This was a time where women were oppressed due to rising tensions between the government and Islamist groups. Women were forced to don the hijab and behave in a submissive manner; if they went against this, they would meet their end in death. The main character, Nedjma (Lyna Khoudri), is strong willed and not afraid to break the rules. 

women fists raised in air
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media

As the social climate intensified during the Black Decade, the fashion show was Nedjma’s way of expressing her belief in a woman’s right to freedom and independence. She creatively uses the material Haik which is a traditional garment females used, made out of a single piece of fabric which covers their entire body. This was a statement that despite having the desire to do things their own way, they still respected traditions.

Papicha did not disappoint; it was stunning, emotional, powerful, and inspiring. This film, a feminist portrait, is designed to be appreciated by those who want to support a woman’s right to self-expression. It touched the hearts of many women, including mine and I hope that those who choose to watch this film take away the beautiful message of the power that love, friendship, and sisterhood has as well as the importance of standing together in solidarity.

Thulasi Thillainathan is a second year student at the University of Toronto. She is a part-time writer for the Her Campus chapter at the University of Toronto.