Take Me Back: Four Reasons Why You Should Try Summer Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Edited by Sophia Savva

I had the amazing opportunity to participate in the University of Toronto’s Summer Abroad program. I studied and lived at Oxford University for one month, and it was an experience I will never forget. I met great people, explored Europe, and learned a lot both inside and outside the classroom. If you have the chance, I encourage you to apply to U of T’s Summer Abroad program, because it is the adventure of a lifetime!

Here are my top four reasons why you should go on U of T’s Summer Abroad:

You get to travel

Not only did I get to go to Oxford on my Summer Abroad, I also had the chance to see the rest of Europe. For example, I went London on the weekend and Paris the next! I picnicked in front of the Eiffel Tower, went to the Louvre Museum, ate incredible food and did some great shopping. In London, I visited family, saw the changing of the guard, went to a bachelorette party, and went on the London Eye. I got to take a walking tour in Liverpool as well. I even went to the beach on one weekend. The opportunities to travel when you are on Summer Abroad are endless. 

You get a hands-on learning experience 

On Summer Abroad, I took a course on human rights. Instead of just sitting in a classroom and listening to a lecture, we went on tours and visited museums to learn about the history of human rights in England. 

You make awesome friends 

I got to meet incredible people on this trip from all over the world. The friends I made and the memories we shared together will last a lifetime. 

Your summer abroad friends become your new family. You get used to the your daily routine when you are on summer abroad because you are there for such a long time: you eat breakfast with your friends, you have class with them, you study with them, you travel with them and you party with them. They are your family abroad. 

It might surprise you!

Summer Abroad is incredible because the unexpected happens. I got to sing my heart out at karaoke on Tuesday nights. My friend and I got lost in London and had such a fun and scary time looking for our bus back. And we even got to take funny and hilarious pictures in a photo-booth outside the Louvre!