Study Snacks to Keep You Going During Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

With final exams upon us after you thought that monstrous pile of assignments completely disappeared, I think it’s safe to say most of us are burnt out and ready for the holiday break to get started. Perhaps it’s just a state of mind—that we can actually keep working like elves in Santa’s factory if we never saw the light at the end of the tunnel. Either way, our bodies need fuel to keep us performing in tip-top shape during one of the most crucial times of the semester when GPAs matter and sleep doesn’t. Here are some of my favourite study snacks that require little to no effort to prepare, and best of all, keep my energy levels up for even the most foggy-minded moments.

Dried or Candied Fruits

If you have a bit of a sweet tooth, try snacking on some dried fruits rather than candy or heavy desserts. Processed sugars may provide you with a surge of energy, but only for a short period of time. I myself feel the sugar crash quite quickly, along with that bloated, unsettled feeling in my stomach. Dried fruits are a great alternative since its sweetness comes from their naturally derived sugars that come out as they are dried. Some brands may have added additional sugar to them, but definitely less than what you would find in a slice of cake. I know it’s not for everyone—I for one hated raisins growing up. I suggest looking for a dried fruit that you do enjoy; personally I’m addicted to dried mangoes, banana chips, and candied pineapples.

Pita Points with Hummus

This has been one of my go to study snacks since the beginning of my university career. Hummus is a great source of protein that will fill you up for longer than many other snacks without making you feel sleepy afterwards. For those of you that think hummus is a bit bland, there are many seasoned variations at the grocery store for different cravings. I like to use pita bread as a dipper for my hummus simply because it’s a thinner type of bread that provides a good bread to dip ratio. I slice the pita into triangles and pop it in the toaster oven until the edges get slightly browned and serve with the hummus. Easy, simple, and nutritious!

Yogurt Parfaits

Colourfully layered and a wild mix if textures, yogurt parfaits are definitely something I like to have to get my day started right or just need a refresher. What I like about this is that there aren’t exactly any rules to making a parfait; anything goes. That means even if you forgot to grocery shop ahead of time, throwing together some of the fruit left at the bottom of your fridge (sans moldy of course) with some yogurt and granola (or dried cereal) will make a delicious and healthy treat. The coldness from the yogurt and fruit will also wake you up if you’re falling asleep on that four inch thick textbook.    

What keeps you going during studying for finals? The thought of a vacation at the end? Working out? Let us know in the comments! 

Picture Sources:

http://www.brickmanproduceands…

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/t…

http://www.redmangousa.com/med…

Vanessa is a third year student at the University of Toronto. She is majoring in Employment Relations with double minors in Sociology and Human Geography. She is excited to start the Fall 2012 year as the new Campus Correspondent after a year of being a contributing writer for the Chapter. She will be studying abroad at the University of Oxford during the summer of 2012, hoping to come back with many experiences to write about. Aside from her studies and Her Campus responsibilities, Vanessa has a great appreciation for style, health and fitness, travel, and the finest dining experiences Toronto has to offer.