Spring N’ Summer Activities

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

They say that these years are the best times of our lives.  However, this sentiment is hiding under stacks of essays, required readings and the many other responsibilities our lives seemingly revolve around.  Although for some the summer season brings about more course work, the weather is simply too nice to not enjoy some outdoor activities. So why not put some of your studies on pause, and schedule in some much needed personal hobbies?

Gardening

Okay, I know. Not everyone wants to be driving miss daisy’s roots into the earth on a hot summer day, but there are advantages to this.  Personally speaking, I never had any interest in gardening until now but there’s something really aesthetically pleasing about gardening. Take pride in your yard (or in your nearest flower pot) and plant seasonal tulips, daisies, and other low maintenance plants this summer to refresh your home.

Vacation

Even if it’s only for a few days, head out to Montreal or Ottawa.  Go camping, see Niagara Falls for the umpteenth time. It’s more affordable than the dream vacation you’re planning after grad school (or undergrad fourth year).

Films

Surely you want to delve in your copy of ‘The Feminist Mystique’, dabble with a bit of Tolstoy or even get to that Jane Austen novel you never finished.  But more reading? Really? For those who are not faint of heart, this is the clear choice for you.  But there are so many adaptations of novels that are worth the watch and less time consuming. Take the 2011 Jane Eyre adaptation starring Mia Wasikowska and Michael Fassbender or the recent but equally timeless Les Miserables.

Volunteer

Volunteering is a great way to spend your extra time; or if you can, find a means of summer employment that coincides with it (i.e. tutoring).

Classes (not the academic type)

Did your dance classes conflict with your schedule? Were there only certain art classes available during the summer? Did you want to travel abroad to take a course but have some time to enjoy the location as well? Maybe you were even thinking of learning a new language.  Either way, the four months off gives plenty of time to fulfill those aspirations.

So have a happy summer ladies, get out, stay healthy, have fun and work hard!

Vanessa is a third year student at the University of Toronto. She is majoring in Employment Relations with double minors in Sociology and Human Geography. She is excited to start the Fall 2012 year as the new Campus Correspondent after a year of being a contributing writer for the Chapter. She will be studying abroad at the University of Oxford during the summer of 2012, hoping to come back with many experiences to write about. Aside from her studies and Her Campus responsibilities, Vanessa has a great appreciation for style, health and fitness, travel, and the finest dining experiences Toronto has to offer.