Robert Gill Theatre: A Hidden Gem

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Whether or not you’re interested in theatre, Hart House is possibly the only theatre on campus you’ve heard of. Regardless, they always do put on great productions that are easy to access (and affordable!) for all UofT students. But I’m here to tell you that there’s much more theatre life on campus than you think. As a Theatre Tech working for the Graduate Drama Centre since my first year of university (I’m now in my fourth), I’ve worked in theatres that are hidden gems around campus. Each have their own unique character, both on the outside and inside. Since most of the shows occupying these theatres are by PhD students working on their thesis of drama or underground shows quickly crossing through Canada, you really never know what you’re gonna see. And I’ve seen some crazy things. 

I’d like to introduce you to the Robert Gill Theatre. It’s quaint, orange, and at the top of the bookstore. Yep, this theatre sits right on top of health services, on the third floor of the Koffler building. Surprsingly (or maybe unsurprisingly) people I have spoken to are unaware of this. Here’s a peek at what you might find, and a look at what you might not get a chance to see when you attend a show. 

The steps into the theatre

The stage

The booth – this is where you’ll usually find me :)

Come check out a show sometime! More information on their site: http://dramacentre.utoronto.ca/?page_id=635

Bianca Hossain is graduating the University of Toronto St. George with a double major in Political Science and English, and a minor in Philosophy. While trying to stay connected to and up-to-date with as many political events happening around the world, her goal is to make politics accessible for all through her writing in hopes to inspire questions, curiosity and, maybe, a drive for local and global community action amongst her readers, and even herself - all mixed with a bit of humour. 
Lucian Wang is an Editor with HerCampus UToronto, after starting out as a Writer in his first year. He is currently double majoring in Political Science, along with Biodiversity and Conservation Biology. Apparently you can do that. Along with HerCampus, he is also involved with the University of Toronto Pre-Law Society as its Vice-President - a little more vice than president.  He hopes to pursue law school after he completes his undergraduate degree. He enjoys listening to music (consisting largely of an unhealthy fascination with Taylor Swift), looking damn good in a suit, and spending far too much time staring at his pet turtle. He does not enjoy walking or the beach, so long walks there are out of the question.