Reading Week 2012: Let’s Make It A Good One

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

I don’t know about you but the minute winter break was over, I was counting down the days until it was reading week. Finally, we’ve hit February and reading week is just around the corner. With no school, the possibilities are endless – go and see a movie that just came out (I suggest the Vow – Channing Tatum, need I say more), catch up with old friends, go skiing or skating, and maybe play some Skyrim.

Last year, I spent my days basically trying to study, failing, and watching TV. It was not a great holiday. So this year, I’ve decided to plan for a vacation with my friends. Just in case you would also like to go somewhere exotic this year, here are some tips.

Plan Ahead 
With school and work, it’s hard to make time to plan for a break but planning ahead has its perks, especially financially. The prices of hotels, buses, and flights increase exponentially as you get closer to the date. Knowing ahead of time who you will be travelling with and having a definite destination allows you to be able to compare prices, plan where to go when you get there, and not panic last minute.

Remember to:

• Compare different methods of travelling to figure out whether the price and the amount of travel time is the best fit for you
  • Know how you’re getting there and where you are staying and purchase all tickets early – you don’t want to be lost in foreign lands
  • Know the amount of people coming with you, you don’t want to buy extras

Do the Research
If you’ve never been there before, it’s always good to familiarize yourself with the area before you arrive. Knowing more is always better than knowing less.

Remember to:

• Google the culture, food, entertainment, weather, currency and current events
  • Depending on where you are going, research the necessary documents you’ll need to travel with such as your passport, photo ID, etc.
  • Knowing key phrases in the local or national language, such as “where is the bathroom,” can be the difference between a good and a bad trip
  • Have a planned trip, you don’t want to waste time wandering around when you get there

Keep On Your Budget 
It is so important to set a budget early on so you don’t lose sight of the amount of money you spent. Throughout the trip keep track of how much you have been spending and don’t spontaneously spend more. You don’t want to come back from a relaxing trip just to worry about being in debt.

Remember to:

• Be aware of your phone calls, long distance phone calls can double or maybe triple your bill
  • Bring a little extra money for emergencies, you never know what might happen

Get Ready 
Excitement increases as you pack your bags but don’t forget to pack the necessities! A good way to avoid forgetting important things such as contact lenses or your passport is to make a list and to go over it just before you leave.

Remember to:

• Pack your passport and photo IDs, weather appropriate clothes, your wallet (with foreign currencies – the local currency as well as the American dollar, which can be accepted in a lot of places), and personal hygiene items such as toothbrush, contacts or face wash
  • It’s always good to pack a nice dress or a fancy outfit, you never know when you need a LBD

Have Fun
You took all this time to plan it, you might as well have fun. It’s okay to go wild in an exotic place, after all you won’t see them again!

Natalie has recently completed her second year at the University of Toronto with a double major in History and Ethics, Society, and Law. She is excited to bring Her Campus to U of T and seeing it expand its presence in Canada. She is also active in the school's Model United Nations circles and numerous organizations off campus and is best described as a political and pop culture junkie. Born and raised in Toronto, she is blindingly proud of everything the city has to offer including the best school in the country, no matter what Macleans says, and its sports teams, no matter how many times they may lose or miss the playoffs.