Post-Frosh: First Impressions of a First-Year Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

This article is a follow-up to “Pre-Frosh” and continues to feature the freshman take on UofT life.

I kicked off my time at the University of Toronto with an orientation week to remember, and I have to say I had a blast getting to know everyone. Frosh was fantastic, but as the weekend approached, the time to start my education at UofT had finally arrived. No more fun and games – this was the real deal! Even before my first week of classes, I’d been sorting out things that you upper-years are all too familiar with—buying textbooks (and mourning the loss of my money), filing paperwork, and mapping out my classes. Above all of that, however, I was excited to begin learning.

My first week of classes was great. The initial transition to university life was a bit of a shock compared to what I’d been used to, but I quickly got used to my self-regulated schedule. And I started to notice things, familiar glimpses of habits I’d heard whispers about back when I was still filling out my university applications—I began to notice some of those tried-and-true university myths working their way into my daily routine.

The reflections of a first-year student are unique to that student’s experience—so I thought I’d share some of mine with you. Without further ado, here are some of my “first-year first impressions”: the observations I’ve made at the start of my freshman year.

Classes

A university lecture is a big change from high school, and the most obvious difference has to be the number of students in a class. Class sizes at UofT can fluctuate depending on the subject and year of study, but I knew to expect that first-year introductory courses, in general, are massive. To prove my point, I kicked off my academic career with a 1200-student lecture in Convocation Hall. This may be normal university protocol… but it’s pretty unfamiliar (and a little frightening) to a freshman. Yikes!

Knowing that I might have some trouble adjusting, throughout the week I made sure to sit near the front of every lecture, and maintain my focus even with the distraction of hundreds of students around me. While the rest of my classes do feel like I’m swimming in a sea of students, I am fortunate enough to be taking Woodsworth One (a program designed especially for first-year students) and an upper-year French course, both of which host no more than 25-30 students.

Though a packed auditorium may not be the ideal learning forum for a first-year student (or any student, for that matter), I’ve adjusted fairly quickly. In fact, certain aspects of the university lecture style appeal to me far more than high school learning ever did. There are very few disruptions, and the concentrated lectures (often two or three hours at a time—but only once a week) allow me some time afterwards to digest my knowledge. Plus, there’s the added bonus that professors are experts in their fields, which is going to make for some interesting class discussion. Now I just have to adjust to the workload…

Campus

Not only are my classes larger than life—so is the University of Toronto campus! There are students absolutely everywhere, and there are hundreds of places to go around campus. My aforementioned Con Hall class seats the entire population of my former high school… I’ve never been part of a school community that is so populated and diverse. I find it thrilling that there are just so many people I’ll be able to meet.

I’ve lived in Toronto since I was very young, so I thankfully was spared of the trouble of adjusting to a brand new city. Navigating the UofT campus is no big deal with the help of a map (though I’ve yet to figure out the best shortcuts). Mainly, I’ve been looking for places to hang out between classes. Honestly, Robarts depresses me—I would rather spend my time in places like the Innis College lobby (which would be perfect if the building weren’t under construction), Father Madden Hall (on the ground floor of my French lecture building), or any room in Hart House (because Hart House rocks). I’m excited to continue exploring; maybe I’ll find my perfect study spot.

Student Life

Frosh Week was a wonderful introduction to student life at UofT. It allowed me to meet new people and get to know my new school. Many frosh events are unique to a college or program of study, but I’m sure my fellow first-years had a similarly awesome experience during their orientation week. Frosh is one of those things you really don’t get into at the beginning—and I will confess that cheering and sports games aren’t usually my thing. But after taking part in a bunch of events like the Block Party (hosted by Innis, Woodsworth, and New College, as well as the Faculty of Kinesiology) and the amazingly spirited UofT Parade, I began to feel more at home within my student community.

Participating in Frosh exposed me to the mosaic of student life and activities at UofT. I’ve been keeping in touch with the groups and organization I’d checked out at the clubs fair, and I also started to recognize people I’d met during orientation in my classes and around the campus. It might be a little difficult for a first-year student, particularly a commuter, to break into the social scene at UofT, but there are so many opportunities out there that I’m confident I’ll find something to do that makes me happy.

This first week of classes has foreshadowed what my entire university experience will be like, and the amazing opportunities out there for me. I hope all you freshmen had an awesome week, and that you’re doing well with your transition. As I continue through my time at UofT, I think I’ll come to understand what it means to be a true university student. So begins the countdown to graduation!

***

Image Sources

http://wordpress.concurseirosolitario.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/girl-with-books1.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BwyKHaLIUAAz26S.jpg:large

http://blogs.studentlife.utoronto.ca/lifeatuoft/files/2014/06/10488545_10204341948175814_2090933350_o.jpg

http://web.eecs.umich.edu/~xyzhang/UofT/UofT/University_Map.jpg

First-year social science student planning to major in Criminology or Ethics, Society, and Law.