Personalised Shampoo: A Hoax or a Must Have?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Have you ever heard of Function of Beauty? 

It’s a brand that specializes in customized shampoo. The customer gets to pick everything: from the smell to the colour, to the name that goes on the shampoo bottle, each purchase is completely unique! I first became curious about Function of Beauty when I saw it on Instagram. They sell their shampoos in clear bottles and their Instagram feed was filled with gorgeous pictures of every colour of shampoo you could possibly think of, and so I was tempted to learn more and possibly try out Function of Beauty for myself. 

The first step in the ordering process is the hair quiz which helps you build a hair profile. Function of Beauty takes into account the condition of your scalp as well as the condition of your hair, whether its course, wavy or straight. 

The next step is where you select your hair goals, in other words, you outline what you want your shampoo to achieve. The options are endless and include goals like thermal protection, curl definition and oil control. My five hair goals were to strengthen, hydrate, soothe the scalp, nourish the roots and anti-frizz my hair. I also use these goals to measure whether or not this product is worth the buy and if it actually works. 

The third step is where things get fun! You get to select the colour and smell of your shampoo and conditioner. I chose pink for my shampoo and orange for my conditioner and the scent I chose was peony tail, which smells heavenly by the way. Customers can also select how strong a scent they want their product to have. Its the level of detail that Function of Beauty gives the customer which makes me appreciate them as a brand. 

You can also type in a formula name which will be printed onto the bottles. This personally is my favourite aspect of the entire process!

The final step is where you select how big a bottle you want to purchase. You have the option of buying more shampoo and less conditioner and vice versa. Its up to you and depends entirely on your preference. Function of Beauty also offers a subscription to their products and so you can choose how frequently you want your customized hair products shipped to you. 

Those 4 steps mark the end of your buying process and then it’s just a short wait until your personalized shampoo and conditioner arrive! I have been using mine for three weeks now and I am very happy with my products. It has definitely hydrated my hair as well as reduce its frizziness. It has not, however, strengthened my hair in any significant way so that was a letdown. 

But overall, the lengths to which Function of Beauty goes to, to provide their customers with a unique product is admirable and one of the reasons why I am taking the time to promote their brand. It also helps that they sent me a referral code so if anyone would like $5 off their first order, feel free to use this code when making your purchase: 5a1d95ed4cd6c.functionofbeauty.com