New Year’s Resolutions: Just Do It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

For most, New Year’s resolutions are empty promises made in a haze of champagne and sparklers in hopes of reinventing yourself. Making a vow to work-out three times a week, quit smoking, finally making official that relationship with a certain friend with benefits, all of which are intended to lead to a newly healthy, jubilant life, free of the bad habits that took years to make. Most of these newly reinstated life missions don’t make it past January 31st, adding to the list of broken promises and dreams. But have no fear, I have cracked the code for keeping these pesky commitments and ensuring that New Year’s resolutions are kept from January 1st to December 31st. And here it is: Just Do It.

Yes, it is a cheesy slogan. And yes, it can potentially lead back to those bad habits that you are in fact trying to dismiss. But, in all actuality this is the perfect New Year’s resolution. For one, it ensures you get everything you desire. Want a new bikini bod for summer? Just do it. Dying to ask out that sinfully attractive individual in your lab? Just do it. Been eyeing that killer internship? Just do it.

A twist on the old “Carpe Diem” antic, it doesn’t give illusions of miraculous success, it requires dedication and gumption. It encourages you to go after the things you truly want and isn’t restrictive to just one element of your full, potentially incredible life. Plus it makes for some hilariously entertaining stories.

However like all New Year’s resolutions, there is a catch: you have to commit. No matter what is standing in your way you must be willing to go the extra mile and just do it. But don’t fret, if at first you don’t succeed: try, try, try again. And when that doesn’t work, there is always sure to be another unfulfilled desire around the corner to keep the resolution alive and thriving in time for the next countdown. Then you can truly say you lived a year to the fullest with no regrets or “what ifs” by simply saying to yourself “Just do it.”

Need a fool proof resolution for the next year? “Get ‘er done”…and boom goes the dynamite.

Natalie has recently completed her second year at the University of Toronto with a double major in History and Ethics, Society, and Law. She is excited to bring Her Campus to U of T and seeing it expand its presence in Canada. She is also active in the school's Model United Nations circles and numerous organizations off campus and is best described as a political and pop culture junkie. Born and raised in Toronto, she is blindingly proud of everything the city has to offer including the best school in the country, no matter what Macleans says, and its sports teams, no matter how many times they may lose or miss the playoffs.