This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Edited by: Laura Sweet

There are various reasons one may try birth control: to reduce acne, sex without consequence, making periods easier by lightening the flow or making their patterns regular. I’m sure there are other reasons, but personally, I haven’t heard of any others from those who I know have used it. 

While birth control comes in many forms, I tried my luck with the pill and can attest to its downfalls. I first started taking birth control pills when I was 18. Within the first few months, I began feeling depressed and anxious. I was also in my first year of university and living away from home in a city I didn’t know well, so at first, I believed my mood change was due to that. This went on for about six months. 

I asked my doctor to change my prescription when the depression came on stronger. He did so, and for that next month, things were good. The next month, I went to my pharmacist and let me tell you, this new great pill which did not affect my mood at all, was suddenly discontinued. Awesome. 

After that month which lacked consequence, I had to try a new type of pill. That month was absolute hell. The next month, I tried the first type of pill I was prescribed, and things were definitely better but still not great. I continued in a sort of numb state for a while until it got to be too much – my mood swings were constant. My mental health was deteriorating. I made an appointment with my doctor and asked if I would be able to take anti-depressants. There was no hesitation when he said yes, and I thought to myself, is it this easy to make my moods better? For a drug that was making me depressed, I was going to take another drug that would cancel out the first one and make me happy? The idea of that didn’t sit right with me. After getting advice from my close-knit circle, I decided to ditch the pill. It wasn’t good for me, and it wasn’t making ME feel good. 

Come January, it will be one year since I took my last birth control pill, and I’ve realized that it is not the only way to prevent pregnancy, reduce acne, or lighten a period. I could’ve learned that with a quick Google search, but for some reason, I was sure the pill would be fine. I was unaware of the side effects that were occurring to me for so long. I was uneducated on the topic, and I feel like so many other young girls are as well! 

Here are some super quick important things to think about if you’re considering taking the birth control pill: 

• long term use increases ones risk for breast, liver, and cervical cancers

• long term use increases ones risk for blood clots and heart attacks to occur after 35 years old 

• migraines may worsen if one is already prone to them

• mood changes are likely to occur

Source used: Roland, James (August 28, 2019). “Is There a Limit to How Long You Can Take Birth Control Pills?” Healthline. https://www.healthline.com/health/birth-control/how-long-is-too-long-to-be-on-birth-control#longterm-side-effects

Megan Cambruzzi is a third-year student at Saint Michael's College at the University of Toronto. She is currently pursuing a major in History and a double minor in Sociology and Christianity & Culture. Megan hopes to attend teacher's college after her undergrad is complete and to one day participate in teaching exchanges to travel the world. You can connect with her on Instagram: @megancambruzzi